• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trying to get qual'd and apply for STA-21

cricechex

I Just graduated from P-3 FE school with orders to a squadron about to deploy to the middle east next week. I just got selected for E5 so the next step is to get commissioned. I'll be turning 26 in April but I do already have an Associates Degree. Unless I'm mistaken this is my last year to apply for STA-21 to really have enough time to get the BA finished prior my 29th. My fear is that my COC will not want to help get my package in b/c their priority is for me to get qual'd at FE which can take over a year. (impossible to complete on deployment b/c the PQS includes sims). I still have to take the SAT's and ASTB and apply for all the colleges and all that crap. Is it even feasible to get this done while deployed in the P3 community?
I know it all depends on the command but what is the general consensus on my situation?

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I would say that anything is possible but you will need your commands support in order to get the recommendation you need from your CO. Good luck on your package.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I Just graduated from P-3 FE school with orders to a squadron about to deploy to the middle east next week. I just got selected for E5 so the next step is to get commissioned. I'll be turning 26 in April but I do already have an Associates Degree. Unless I'm mistaken this is my last year to apply for STA-21 to really have enough time to get the BA finished prior my 29th. My fear is that my COC will not want to help get my package in b/c their priority is for me to get qual'd at FE which can take over a year. (impossible to complete on deployment b/c the PQS includes sims). I still have to take the SAT's and ASTB and apply for all the colleges and all that crap. Is it even feasible to get this done while deployed in the P3 community?
I know it all depends on the command but what is the general consensus on my situation?

I think your priority should be focused on the job you have to do. In this case the focus is on becoming an FE and supporting the squadron while deployed. There is more than one way to obtain a commission, and a lot of people are counting on you to fill a critical role in the Navy at a critical time. However, that does not mean to stop work on your officer package also. Do what you can when you can for your package, but don't forget about your main duty.

LoneSailor

About 3 years ago I submitted an application for USNA, all while I was deployed. The unit that I was assigned to were very understanding and went over their way to help me out, even sending me to the host nation's capital to take the SAT at the international school. In the end though, I did not get an admission. We did not have much down time, I had to sacrifice a lot of sleep.. this is something that you might need to do since you've got your qual to consider as well. I think it would look great for you if your superiors saw that you're motivated to get your qual and at the same time want to put in a commissioning packet. I think putting in a USNA app was more difficult than the STA-21 app since the boat school required me to do all kind's of physicals and such, it was tough since we've been living in the jungle for months. With STA-21 you do your physicals after you get selected.

Make sure you bring an SAT cd (I've used KAPLAN and I think they are great) along with a laptop so you can study during downtime. Download some of the ASTB gouge as well while you are at it. Before you leave for deployment, talk to your LPO and find out who your command Commissioning program officer is. Touch base with him/her and get that person's info. The biggest thing for you is to get your SAT done, everything else is cake. Do you know when your unit comes back from deployment?

I think the waver for STA-21 age requirements goes all the way up to 32 (for aviation). I remember reading on AW a while back that there was an applicant that got accepted even though he would get his commission by 32.

If you really have the passion for pursuing your commission, I'm sure you'll get this done. You know the cliche.. "Where there's a will, there's a way." Good luck and stay safe while you're on deployment.

cricechex

Creepto,

How long were you with your command before applying for the academy? My squadron should be returning in June. Also, STA-21 website is pretty clear about only giving a waiver up your 29th birthday. OCS I think allows up to 31. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the info about Kaplan SAT prep software. I have seen it advertised but wasn't sure of its effectiveness. I'll be sure to pick it up prior to leaving.

Jus2mch,
I know I still have other options which I fully intend to pursue, ie finishing degree online and applying for OCS. If this doesn't pan out that will be the plan.

I guess the bottom line is that I will just have to feel it out once I meet up with my squadron and see what kind of response I get when I mention my intentions. Otherwise, I will have my face in NATOPS 24/7 :propeller

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Also, STA-21 website is pretty clear about only giving a waiver up your 29th birthday. OCS I think allows up to 31. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

MILPERSMAN 1131-010 pretty much spells it out as far as what the requirements are for both STA-21 and OCS. You will notice that in OPNAV 1420.1A which is the current rev it states in Chap 4 & 8 that the max age limit is waiverable up to 31. I am fairly certain though that the website has been changed to 29 to reflect the milpersman which I presume trumps the opnav instruction.

LoneSailor

Creepto,

How long were you with your command before applying for the academy? My squadron should be returning in June.

I had been at my command for about a year and a half at that time. My opinion, I really don't think the amount of time being at the command has any bearing in being able to put in an application -- if that's where you were going at.

As far as the age requirements, I guess Chief's post pretty much clears it up like mudd :D.

cricechex

The nav-instruction is kinda confusing because at one point it states (in reference to OCS): "(4) at least 19 years old and meet designator specific age limitations which are outlined in MILPERSMAN 1131-010."

In another chapter it states:

"(5) For Pilots (1395), be at least 19 years of age
and be able to complete OCS and be commissioned prior to
the 27th birthday. Waivers may be considered up to the
31st birthday."

But like you said, MILPERSMAN 1131-010 is clear that:

"At least 19 but under 27; month for month waivers up to 24 months will be considered for in-service applicants who possess particularly exceptional qualifications."

So, which one is it? Unless I'm mistaken, this would mean that 29 is the cut off for either program (providing MILPERSMAN "trumphs" OPNAV). I will check other threads to see if there is an explanation for this verbiage.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
The nav-instruction is kinda confusing because at one point it states (in reference to OCS): "(4) at least 19 years old and meet designator specific age limitations which are outlined in MILPERSMAN 1131-010."

In another chapter it states:

"(5) For Pilots (1395), be at least 19 years of age
and be able to complete OCS and be commissioned prior to
the 27th birthday. Waivers may be considered up to the
31st birthday."

But like you said, MILPERSMAN 1131-010 is clear that:

"At least 19 but under 27; month for month waivers up to 24 months will be considered for in-service applicants who possess particularly exceptional qualifications."

So, which one is it? Unless I'm mistaken, this would mean that 29 is the cut off for either program (providing MILPERSMAN "trumphs" OPNAV). I will check other threads to see if there is an explanation for this verbiage.

I am not an expert on this but I have to assume from my own reading on this matter that they took the requirement from an older version of the milpers and now its inconsistent and the next rev to opnav 1420.1 will reflect this. If you want to hear it from the horses mouth email the program coordinator regarding the issue. For STA-21 they are really helpful and quick with questions, for OCS I think your best bet would be an officer recruiter.