• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trying to fly

Enrique Pacheco

Hello-

I am a 5 year prior enlisted, with 3 years of DOD contracting experience and recently finished my Bachelor's through Embry-Riddle in Professional Aeronautics with two minors; Safety and Management. During the past eight years my career has been based on aircraft maintenance, meanwhile I went to college with the hopes of possibly flying one day. But now I am 29, and age is starting to challenge some of my possible opportunities. I need an age waiver for the USAF,USMC and the USN, the USCG does not assure me a spot in flight training before OCS, and I have not checked with the ARMY yet; leaving them as a last resort. I took the AFOQT and the ASTB, passed them both but my age has now become the issue. Does anyone have any suggestions or any info about any programs that I might be overlooking?

v/r
Enrique

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
I Don't know about the other branches, but you wouldn't be eligible for the Navy waiver for SNA. You must be less than 29 at the time of commissioning. NFO will waive up to 31 though, so that might be a possibility for you. What are your stats? Passing the ASTB and actually having a score that might get you selected are two very different things. I'm sure a quick Google search will get you the waived age limits for other branches.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Enrique,

First, as a fellow Army veteran, welcome to the boards. As mentioned by the previous poster, the Navy is out of the question, as far as being a pilot. You've already looked in to the other branches, so you know their age limits as well. Really, the best route for you to fly now is the Army. If you've already taken the AFOQT and the ASTB, you may consider hitting up the nearest recruiter for a stab at the AFAST. As a previous Army man myself, I understand your desire to leave them as a last resort, but if you really want to fly, this may be your only option now.

Best of luck to you, I hope you find a way to get in the door to fly.

Enrique Pacheco

Hello guys-

Thanks for the info; love the picture. I just checked with the ARMY, and as long as I am under 32 upon graduating from flight training I should be ok. I'll keep pressing with the USCG before going green; just found out about the Blue-21 program. I believe that it is currently made available to juniors in college only, but I'll do some more research just in case.

E.