• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Try Before You Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Gee, this sounds just like an "abbreviated" API...

quote:
Care to Try Naval Aviation for a Week?

Hmmmm... this could be interesting... a one week tryout as a Naval Aviator? Sounds even better than Summer camp! The Navy is giving college students and graduates a one-week aviation tryout to boost recruitment and reduce a flight-training dropout rate that can be as high as 25 percent.

One purpose is to weed out those who lack the commitment or physical and mental attributes necessary to get through rigorous and expensive training programs for pilots and navigators. "The other part of this is the motivational aspect, bringing them down here and giving them an aviation, quasi-Top Gun experience and getting them feeling good and pumped up about the fact that they want to do this,'' said Capt. A.J. Gallardo.

Since January, the Navy has brought 100 young men and women to Pensacola Naval Air Station in small groups once a month for the Aviation Certification Evaluation and Screening Program. Participants undergo physical training and swimming tests, get medical examinations and take rides in turboprop training planes.

"It's hard to comprehend what it is like until you get down here and see how the whole process works,'' said Dan Brown, 26, a copy machine salesman who graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1996 and opted to stick with flight training. "Nothing was sugarcoated.''

The Navy plans to expand the program next year to Naval Academy graduates and students in Officer Candidate School.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Saw a number of the "ACES" come through while I was finishing up my Primary training. They all had the glazed, deer in the headlights look about them , but I guess that should be expected with the rapid immersion the Navy gives with this program. Definitely a good program for those that are trying to decide if this is really the right path for them.

I remember someone who had gone through it a little while ago emailing me about it, with some details, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.