• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

True or myth?

Tobe

My recruiter told me today that a guy got 9s on all sections, around 50 oar, had a 2.7 gpa and couldn't get picked up for pilot or nfo.

If the astb measures future performance in flight school, why would gpa affect this guy? That candidate would make a great pilot..

MGoBrew11

pilot
Who cares? Just do the best you can do man.

There are a whole host of other factors that could have lead to his lack of selection including criminal record, medical record, poor LORs etc.

Yes, I would be surprised if someone with those ASTB scores didn't get picked up.

That being said, getting great ASTB scores does not mean you are going to rock flight school or vice versa. The ASTB tests basic mathematical and mechanical knowledge. It does not test one's dedication, willingness to work hard, study habits, or the ability to nod your head when everyone tells you that you suck at flying.

I remember the ASTB being really important to me when I applied. Looking back, I don't think the scores meant much.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You're an officer first and a pilot second. That GPA is indicative of a lower-than-average rate of success.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
2.7 GPA? My ears are burning. Then again, 7,000 flight hours later, who cares. I did have fun in college, while also working 6 days a week to pay for it.