• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Travel Voucher over 30 days not paid

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I am trying to find out if the Navy owes interest on unpaid travel vouchers that have crossed over 30 days since it was submitted (was submitted correctly and within timeline by the member).

I thought that it was something akin to 5% on the balance owed to the member, per day, for each day over 30. My Google-fu in the JTR is weak today.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am trying to find out if the Navy owes interest on unpaid travel vouchers that have crossed over 30 days since it was submitted (was submitted correctly and within timeline by the member).

I thought that it was something akin to 5% on the balance owed to the member, per day, for each day over 30. My Google-fu in the JTR is weak today.
Here's something I found.
Chapter 301—Temporary Duty (TDY) Travel Allowances
Subchapter C—Arranging for Travel Services, Paying Travel Expenses, and Claiming Reimbursement

§301-52.19 Will I receive a late payment fee if my agency fails to reimburse me within 30 calendar days after I submit a proper travel claim?
Yes, your agency must pay you a late payment fee, in addition to the amount due you, for any proper travel claim not reimbursed within 30 calendar days of your submission of it to the approving official.

§301-52.20 How are late payment fees calculated?
Your agency must either:
(a) Calculate late payment fees using the prevailing Prompt Payment Act Interest Rate beginning on the 31st day after submission of a proper travel claim and ending on the date on which payment is made; or
(b) Reimburse you a flat fee of not less than the prompt payment amount, based on an agencywide average of travel claim payments; and
(c) In addition to the fee required by paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section, your agency must also pay you an amount equivalent to any late payment charge that the card contractor would have been able to charge you had you not paid the bill.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good to know, I'm still due a payment for a voucher I submitted in May.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Holy crap. Anything over 2 weeks is supposed to be top priority. Are you in the reserves? Where are these travel requests getting held up?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Just finished a PCS with a few I-stops enroute. When I submitted travel claim at ultimate the clerks told me to expect 4-6 weeks for liquidation. In this case it's not a function of squadron admin, but base PSD...either way it's F'd.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's amazing what a personal visit to a PSD OIC can accomplish .... The JAX PSD lost my overseas PCS travel claim not once. But twice. I then got an overpayment notice. Um no .... After my visit they "found" my paperwork buried in a third class's desk drawer.

I do not miss the inefficiency of that system and sometimes having to fight for your entitlements on your orders. The claim system at my civilian employer is so much easier and is frankly fire and forget. But our pay sheets and accounting are a nightmare to follow and interpret so the grass isn't always greener there. Lol

sevenhelmet

pilot
It's amazing what a personal visit to a PSD OIC can accomplish ....

That's very true. I didn't get a paycheck for my first six weeks in the Navy. Multiple calls had me bounced around to various departments (welcome to the Navy, Ensign!) I was finally promised it was fixed. When my pay didn't arrive at the end of that month, I walked into PSD, introduced myself and my predicament, and stayed there until I had visual confirmation that it was corrected.

Government admin support is hilariously bad in a lot of ways. Unless you owe them money. Lol.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I got overpaid on BAH for a while after a PCS move. After some time and I got a friendly but panicked, "You owe the U.S. Government $_____" email, with other correspondence to follow as required. I replied with a friendly, "I think I actually owe $_____ and I think you forgot to include 'save pay'. Other than that, I know I have to pay it back, I have a general idea how much you're allowed to take out each pay period, so let's get it paid back as quickly as possible." (Save pay is the thing where they can't lower your BAH if the rate drops after you move there; you keep the higher rate from the date you checked in.)

The rest of the conversation was also cordial beginning with, "I discussed it with my boss and you're right." The clerk felt really bad for me, since somebody in that office was responsible for forgetting to adjust it in the first place. I can't say I was too worried- I'd also noticed the error and it wasn't really my money.

Honestly, I felt a bit bad for the clerk for having to be the bearer of bad news. That's part of her job, but still... It was an impressive chunk of money.

I will say I found the whole experience quite amusing, but that's just me.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
It's one thing when it happens to an officer who (hopefully) has the means to absorb a pay screw up or delayed reimbursement, but when it happens to a young Sailor who nets $1500 every two weeks...and may not have the experience or

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I hope LSO is ok, when people's posts just stop in the middle I'm always reminded of the poor animator:

But seriously, I get what you mean. That's why I felt bad for that clerk, because regardless of your money/not your money, that kind of debt can be a helluva shock to a lot of people.

sevenhelmet

pilot
It's one thing when it happens to an officer who (hopefully) has the means to absorb a pay screw up or delayed reimbursement, but when it happens to a young Sailor who nets $1500 every two weeks...and may not have the experience or

Damn ENTER button again! ...I hope. LSO, are you OK?

sevenhelmet

pilot
Got distracted watching my HHG unloaded in more pieces than when it got loaded....

Ah, the old PCS distraction. I have been there myself. Recently. It never gets less painful, does it? The ultimate "best-case-break-even" evolution...