• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Travel days PCS/TDY

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Do the days you check out from your LPDS and the day you check-in and get your orders stamped count as travel days or just the ones in between? Do they do partial prorated days ever?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Do the days you check out from your LPDS and the day you check-in and get your orders stamped count as travel days or just the ones in between? Do they do partial prorated days ever?

[Admin DH hat] No prorated days, ie. partial days. It's either a travel day or it isn't.

Example: your detach date is the 23rd from PDS A. You have 3 travel days to get to PDS B. You need to report in to PDS B by the 26th (24th is travel day 1, 25th is travel day 2, 26th is travel day 3 and the date you should check in to have the duty guy endorse your orders for you to return for full check-in the next day). Anything in excess like orders stamped on the the 27th will result in one day of leave being charged. Make sense? For officer orders on long distance moves, you'll likely also rate "proceed time" which adds a few extra days to get your affairs in order on both the departure and new PDS end (no proceed time on enlisted orders).

It's rare, but not unheard of, to have officer orders with a report NLT date as an actual calendar date. You usually only see that if you already have a pending class convening date. More often than not it's a case of "when directed by authority detach in Jun 09" and "report no later than Jun 09" meaning you could leave as early as 1 Jun and report in NLT 30 Jun and be completely legal. How you use the travel/proceed time is up to you (mad dash from pt A to pt B and use the remainder as extra time off to get settled before dipping in to leave is a commonly seen thing). It's all up to you.

[/Admin DH Hat]

P3 F0

None
Proceed time is only for going to/coming from Sea duty, I believe. At least, that's what the chuckleheads at Anacostia are telling me.

So Goober, if I check in before the workday is over, say 1400, that day still counts as a travel day? I'm about to PCS, and all the sudden, this thread is making me re-think my travel plan.

Goober

None
Proceed time is only for going to/coming from Sea duty, I believe. At least, that's what the chuckleheads at Anacostia are telling me.

So Goober, if I check in before the workday is over, say 1400, that day still counts as a travel day? I'm about to PCS, and all the sudden, this thread is making me re-think my travel plan.

Let's pretend you're making a PCS from Unit A to Unit B on a Monday. If it's one day's travel away, say JAX to P'cola with one travel day allotted (I'm making it up - I really have no idea how many days they would allot, but we'll use it for the example), and you check in on Monday the SAME day you leave JAX, fine. If you check in on Tuesday, you would have used the one travel day allowed. If you check in Wednesday, you would have used the one travel day plus one day of leave which will be charged, and so on for additional days of delay in reporting. It doesn't matter what time you check in provided it's done on the DATE you were supposed to check in. Your orders have to specify the number of allowed travel days, and they are normally allotted based on the mode of travel (POV vs. gov't purchased airfare, etc.).

Personal example - my latest PCS was across town from Oceana to Norfolk. It was on orders for a Nov detach, Nov report with no travel days allowed. My detach date was the day after Thanksgiving to arrive at the squadron two days after the change of command so as to not dork up the change of command fitrep numbers, and my old command had already done the detach endorsement for my orders for that Friday in advance. Fine. I'm working on the post-Thanksgiving food coma, entertaining the wife's relatives the next day, and all that when I start thinking "Is there something I was supposed to do today? Ehh, whatever." It dawns on me at 11:30 that night, "Oh shit, I was supposed to check in today." Throw on a bag, boots, and off I go. Orders stamped by squadron ASDO at something like 10 mins to midnight, a quick "see you all on Monday," and back to the house I go. Result=didn't burn an extra day of leave.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Throw on a bag, boots, and off I go. Orders stamped by squadron ASDO at something like 10 mins to midnight, a quick "see you all on Monday," and back to the house I go. Result=didn't burn an extra day of leave.

I got my FRS orders stamped on a Friday afternoon 1530~ish for the same reason. Being a winged ENS I was smart enough enough to do this to save two days of leave (my orders stated NLT Monday). Being an ENS I was too dumb to use my car as change room, so I checked in wearing a T-shirt and flip-flops since my next stop was the furniture store. The SDO took me aside for a quick "you are an idiot" moment before endorsing my orders. I brought him a 6-pack the following week and we got along great ever after. :D

P3 F0

None
Thanks for clarifying. This is why the whole thing confuses me: a travel "day" isn't really that. It's more of a 5-hour chunk with an official, non-travel-related duty at the end (i.e., checking in). I was looking at it more as a day of leave than what it really is. Thanks for nothing :)

Goober

None
Thanks for clarifying. This is why the whole thing confuses me: a travel "day" isn't really that. It's more of a 5-hour chunk with an official, non-travel-related duty at the end (i.e., checking in). I was looking at it more as a day of leave than what it really is. Thanks for nothing :)

Well, if you're given one day of travel time, and you check out of your old command in the morning, you have until 2359 the next day to check in. Provided you're ready to hit the road that morning and can be there that day, you do essentially have that next day off. If there were no travel days allotted, you'd have to be checked into your new command the same day. Make sense? Years back I PCS'ed from Millington to San Diego and had five travel days allowed. I did the drive in 2 1/2. As a result, 2 1/2 days to do as I pleased once I got there before needing to check in.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Keep in mind that the days revolve around the normal duty day. You are expected to check out prior to the end of the duty day and you are expected to check in prior to the start of the duty day. If you burn one minute of a duty day before you check in you will be charged. If the number of total days exceeds travel + proceed it will be counted as leave. Although the travel forms no longer require a time the orders stamp determines what happens. OBTW, I am pretty sure travel days are determined in increments of 350 miles and yes, proceed is for sea-duty related moves only.

Example: JAX to PNS. One day travel. You check out from JAX sometime during the day Monday. Have your orders stamped prior to 0730 Wednesday to avoid being charged leave.

Note I said the orders stamp determines what happened. Depending on the command and the situation, orders have been known to be pre or post dated in one's favor. Bad mouth PSD all you want just don't do it to their faces if you want special treatment. A PSC/PS1/PS2 is a good friend to have and remember to keep it on the DL.

Goober

None
Keep in mind that the days revolve around the normal duty day. You are expected to check out prior to the end of the duty day and you are expected to check in prior to the start of the duty day. If you burn one minute of a duty day before you check in you will be charged. If the number of total days exceeds travel + proceed it will be counted as leave. Although the travel forms no longer require a time the orders stamp determines what happens. OBTW, I am pretty sure travel days are determined in increments of 350 miles and yes, proceed is for sea-duty related moves only.

Example: JAX to PNS. One day travel. You check out from JAX sometime during the day Monday. Have your orders stamped prior to 0730 Wednesday to avoid being charged leave.

Note I said the orders stamp determines what happened. Depending on the command and the situation, orders have been known to be pre or post dated in one's favor. Bad mouth PSD all you want just don't do it to their faces if you want special treatment. A PSC/PS1/PS2 is a good friend to have and remember to keep it on the DL.

Mmmph... artist formerly known as TAR speak heap big truth... :)

P3 F0

None
Well, this marries up more to how I was thinking of it as leave. Thanks, FlyBoyd.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Followed this Gouge when traveling to PDS and it was incorrect. The day you Detach, and the day you checkin are travel days. Here is a JTR link describing this situation.

Not necessarily. If you check in before the beginning of the business day, it's not a travel day. If business hours start at 0730 and you have your orders stamped at 0729, you're good. Checking into fleet commands are easier because you may show up at 0730 and not get your orders stamped until later in the day. You just need to make sure they're stamping (really, they're inputting the date/time into a system) with the correct time.

You also have to watch civilians with this at training commands. I checked into a FRS as a CAT Other and was never told where to show up (thanks TrainO and former fellow JO!), so I checked into the wrong admin. By the time I checked into the correct admin it was later than what the paperwork said despite everyone already knowing I wasn't actually UA. But some civilians will want to be sticklers for their job but not have the imagination or the actual authority to deviate from said job. A quick conversation with the Admin O or Chief can fix that in a jiffy.