• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Transferring From NAVY to USMC

pascol1

I am a prior enlisted Marine and I am currently in the Navy IRR. I will promote to LT (O-3) within a month. I was not competitive in getting selected for Marine officer from the Naval Academy and still have a lot of desire to become a Marine officer. I am willing to even sign a DD368 and resign my commission so that I can go to Marine OCS and start my career over. I understand that I will go from O-3 down to O-1 following OCS, but that does not bother me at all. I realized that I have missed a lot of critical events that are necessary for promotion in the Marines. However, I am concerned about my age. I was commissioned at age 26 and I am 30. Are there any waivers to get past my age? I talked to some OSO's and they mentioned doing marathons and other physical events to help boost my package. The reason why I also decided to start here first is because I want to show the OSO I have done my homework and found a solution to any problem that he presents to me.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Just FYI, when I initially talked to my OSO about getting my conditional release and resigning my commission to go to OCC back in January, first question asked was, "Are you a USNA Graduate" since apparently USNA grads get to bypass OCS and lateral in. That's something you might want to look into. I don't know about the waiver though. I'm still trying to figure out how a USNA grad is IRR already at less than 4 years.

If not, and we're both successful at getting in and through OCS, we should consider starting a "4 Year Butter Bar" Club and making T-Shirts.

Last edited:

pascol1

A lot of people tell me that commissioned officers do not need to go through OCS because we are already commissioned. I understand that and even appreciate that. However, I am willing to do whatever it takes to get back to wearing the uniform, even if I do not promote to the next rank and have to leave after a few years.
I was a SWO and did not get my pin. I put up a hell of a fight to get it within the proper time frame. However, after I ran out of time, I had to nonattain by instruction. I even fought to get into another community and had recommendations, but the POCR slashed us. My CO did not want to support me because I did not get the pin, but I accepted his reason even though I did not agree with him. It was hard for me to accept getting discharged after I had always had the mentality that I can do whatever I want if I put my mind to something. However, I am not finished and cannot stop after I have come this far.
I say we definitely do that. And 10 November will be so much sweeter when it rolls around that time of the year.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
A lot of people tell me that commissioned officers do not need to go through OCS because we are already commissioned. I understand that and even appreciate that. However, I am willing to do whatever it takes to get back to wearing the uniform, even if I do not promote to the next rank and have to leave after a few years.
I was a SWO and did not get my pin. I put up a hell of a fight to get it within the proper time frame. However, after I ran out of time, I had to nonattain by instruction. I even fought to get into another community and had recommendations, but the POCR slashed us. My CO did not want to support me because I did not get the pin, but I accepted his reason even though I did not agree with him. It was hard for me to accept getting discharged after I had always had the mentality that I can do whatever I want if I put my mind to something. However, I am not finished and cannot stop after I have come this far.
I say we definitely do that. And 10 November will be so much sweeter when it rolls around that time of the year.
I'm pretty sure you still have to go to TBS unless you're a boat school guy. I've met two pilots who transferred, one had to go to TBS and the one that didn't was a SEAL.