• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transfering physics/calulus

sanders

I am a non-contract freshmen in an NROTC program looking to apply for a 3 year navy contract. I have already spoken with an officer at my school and he said so far I am on track to get one exept for the calculus/ physics requirments. I am not currently taking any becasue I am a non-technical major but I did take them in High school. I did not take the AP tests but he told me it might be possible to transfer them anyway. Does anybody know if this is possible? Also, if I do have to take them in college, do I have to start them before I apply? I am going to apply in February but I am planning on starting calc/physics during summer school. Thanks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My info is a bit old, so keep that in mind but...

You don't need physics/calc before you apply, just by the end of your Junior year, if it's still the same. The req. was for two semesters of each. As for transfering it, I guess each school is different, but if you don't have the AP scores, then the only other way to get out of it would be to CLEP it (or whatever it's called now) where you take a test that shows you already know it. I was a non-tech guy too, but had to do the classes for the scholarship. I did Calc I and II at my college, but there was no way I was going to pass Physics C w/ 300 other people in my class (I AP'ed out of Physics AB). So I did it through the local community college at night. I had to get permission from the unit, but at the time, a lot of Marine and non-tech guys were going over there, so it wasn't a big deal.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Something to keep in mind....At my college there was a difference between Calculus I and II and Calculus I and II for engineers, which is the one we have to take. The same applies for the Physics. I was too stupid to pass it at A&M so I went to the community college and it was a piece of cake. Had to pay for it myself though. On another note, if your going greenside you don't have to take anything technical. In fact, I think it's preferred if you don't. :icon_wink

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I'm in first semester physics at Vanderbilt, and being a history and economics major, it's not working out too well. Can we say second semester at a state school during the summer at home? :icon_tong

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't think the state school will be any easier. The point is a good one about the class being for engineers. That said, at a state school, those classes are the weed out classes, hence why they have 300 people to a class. I'd seriously look at a JC or CC if it's not working for you now.

Ex Rigger

pilot
Yes, Texas A&M. Make sure if your going to take them outside of A&M that they will indeed transfer in for Math 151 which is Engineering Calc.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
It all depends on the school whether they'll accept the transfer. I'm from Fort Worth and went to the JC up there during summers and from what I remember any class there would transfer to a state school, so long as its got the same/comparable course. I believe most JCs in TX are the same, allows trasferring to a state school easier. And so long as A&M accpets the course, the unit will.

grnweenie

CommodoreMid said:
Yeah, I'm in first semester physics at Vanderbilt, and being a history and economics major, it's not working out too well. Can we say second semester at a state school during the summer at home? :icon_tong
I know that Physics here (Illinois) is hard as hell so that may be the same for a state school near you. Also, some schools don't accept any CLEP credits whatsoever (here). I was pretty mad to find that out after I had enrolled.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
We had to take calc-based physics and engineering calc. And this was everyone regardless of your major. Lets just say i was a math major going in, and a sociology grad coming out :) But i did feel a hellava lot smarter knowing i could hang with the engineering majors.