• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Train or suggested transportation routes?

IrishEagle85

I was wondering if there was any gouge on the best way to travel around Florida from Penscola if I were considering heading to Jacksonville every once in a blue moon to visit the family and fiancee. I estimate a POV drive (round trip) costing approximately $150-$170 in gas, a greyhound ride costing approximately $198 (round trip). I was looking into the Sunset Limited Amtrak line, and found out it's still offline from Hurricane Katrina.

If needs be, I can suck up the costs of a POV or greyhound trip, as it'd be worth it to see the girl maybe before and after API (but not during, I'm not quite that stupid). Any suggestions?

Respectfully,
Dave

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was wondering if there was any gouge on the best way to travel around Florida from Penscola if I were considering heading to Jacksonville every once in a blue moon to visit the family and fiancee. I estimate a POV drive (round trip) costing approximately $150-$170 in gas, a greyhound ride costing approximately $198 (round trip). I was looking into the Sunset Limited Amtrak line, and found out it's still offline from Hurricane Katrina.

If needs be, I can suck up the costs of a POV or greyhound trip, as it'd be worth it to see the girl maybe before and after API (but not during, I'm not quite that stupid). Any suggestions?

Respectfully,
Dave

You could certainly make weekend trips, even while in API. Despite what many have said, it isn't graduate school. I barely studied on weekdays, and on weekends, I barely remembered I was in the Navy. :D

If you can afford it, nothing beats a trip in your own POV.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I barely studied on weekdays, and on weekends, I barely remembered I was in the Navy. :D
That might change if they go to the 3 week API. Anybody know if thats still a go or was it just bad scuttlebutt?

If it stays 6 weeks this will continue to be true. I hope it does for all those getting ready to start. Its a good way to ease into the training. ;)

magnetfreezer

Respectfully,
Dave

Looking at the Greyhound site gives $117 with 10% mil discount for PNS-JAX this weekend (short route as far as Greyhound goes). Meeting your fiancee in Panama City or similar would save gas too.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You could certainly make weekend trips, even while in API. Despite what many have said, it isn't graduate school. I barely studied on weekdays, and on weekends, I barely remembered I was in the Navy. :D
If you can afford it, nothing beats a trip in your own POV.

+1......unless you find that API is hard (in which case you should study), seriously enjoy the vacation. From all I've heard, the hammer drops once you class up for Primary

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
I drove to JAX a couple times from P'cola. It took a few hours and about a tank a half of gas to get there and back. Personally, I'd take POV. Gives you more freedom than having to ask your parents to use their car (again).

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
+1......unless you find that API is hard (in which case you should study), seriously enjoy the vacation. From all I've heard, the hammer drops once you class up for Primary

The hammer drops on Fam 0. Enjoy API. ;)

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
Don't let the big scary IP get in your head before you actually get to primary - there will be plenty of time for that later on. :D

Yeah, like RI 18 in helos.... I still have the gouge and have to study it because one of the pilots in my squadron (who does instrument checks) still uses it to prepare for when he gives checks in the fleet.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
I concur about the POV, plus have you ever taken a GreyHound bus? It sucks, the people suck, and it takes quadruple the time to get anywhere. You also have to worry about watching your stuff wherever you go.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I have used a greyhound once, once, and will never, ever, use it again. The bus broke down, it was late regardless of where we were going, and made a 10 hour trip into a two day fiasco.