• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tower Defense and Aerospace

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seeing as though the labor market is in a strong buyer's market, companies can afford to be picky and not hire douchebags who booze and get stoned at lunch. On the flip side, are companies who accept government contracts under any legal (or moral) obligation to prevent their employees from using drugs, or monitor them through urinalysis, etc?

Brett

Tomodachi

pilot
According to the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 if the company is awarded a contract over $100,000 and makes non-commercial items within the US then they fall under the policy. From there the company is required to publish to all covered employees informing them that the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of a controlled substance is prohibited in the covered workplace and specifying the actions that will be taken against employees who violate the policy. There are other requirements for them to follow about notifications and other things.

Seems like these employees understand the law clearly... do not possess or use drugs/alcohol within the perimeter of the workplace. But clearly they just go outside the security gate and go toke up and get their drink on... just gotta leave everything outside the workplace.

brownshoe

Contributor
Seeing as though the labor market is in a strong buyer's market, companies can afford to be picky and not hire douchebags who booze and get stoned at lunch. On the flip side, are companies who accept government contracts under any legal (or moral) obligation to prevent their employees from using drugs, or monitor them through urinalysis, etc?

Brett
Brett,

You would think so but not the case with unions (the article seems to indicate that the company is a union shop). I’m not going into a big diatribe here (and I could) but the local union halls are corrupt. You kinda get what the hall sends you (I’ve been there/am still there at times), it sucks. Just try and fire one of these slackers, tough.

And yes employees are randomly checked for substance abuse, supposedly (see the corrupt comment above).

Okay. I’m putting my soapbox away now.

Steve