• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tore my hamstring 2 weeks ago....am I screwed?

bjjhelm

Just send it
Long story short, I was supposed to be on the February 2018 aviation board, then the May 2019 board, and now I'm hoping to be up for the upcoming board in August (this will be the first time my packet makes it all the way through due to paperwork issues with the NRD I was previously with before transferring). All paperwork done, good to go, signed sealed yadda yadda yadda and then, two weeks ago, I tore my hamstring water skiing and it's looking like I'll be having surgery soon.

Is being injured this close to the board going to delay the process for me? My recruiter isn't too concerned, but I wasn't sure if anyone else had experienced a similar hiccup. Really I'm just going to be bummed if I have to clear MEPS again

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Long story short, I was supposed to be on the February 2018 aviation board, then the May 2019 board, and now I'm hoping to be up for the upcoming board in August (this will be the first time my packet makes it all the way through due to paperwork issues with the NRD I was previously with before transferring). All paperwork done, good to go, signed sealed yadda yadda yadda and then, two weeks ago, I tore my hamstring water skiing and it's looking like I'll be having surgery soon.

Is being injured this close to the board going to delay the process for me? My recruiter isn't too concerned, but I wasn't sure if anyone else had experienced a similar hiccup. Really I'm just going to be bummed if I have to clear MEPS again

You will need a new physical clearance letter.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
This is why we have a high risk activity waiver...at least you weren’t jet skiing or zip lining...

exNavyOffRec

N3M will have a standard wait, not sure what it is for this injury but besides that all med documents as well, I generally told my applicants to avoid anything out of the ordinary, but really I don't think I would have said not to water ski.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I generally told my applicants to avoid anything out of the ordinary, but really I don't think I would have said not to water ski.
Being dragged behind a boat at high speed across the water. Not exactly an ordinary activity.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
N3M will have a standard wait, not sure what it is for this injury but besides that all med documents as well, I generally told my applicants to avoid anything out of the ordinary, but really I don't think I would have said not to water ski.
BTW,
All comments on high risk activities made in jest. I think the whole idea is stupid. We lose way more Sailors to basketball and ladderwells than any “high risk” activity.
Also, I regularly have impromptu rodeo sessions with my newest thoroughbred and somehow that is considered safer than all the other “high risk” sports/motorcycle driving (medical statistics be damned).

Let people do their thing, shit happens...

exNavyOffRec

BTW,
All comments on high risk activities made in jest. I think the whole idea is stupid. We lose way more Sailors to basketball and ladderwells than any “high risk” activity.
Also, I regularly have impromptu rodeo sessions with my newest thoroughbred and somehow that is considered safer than all the other “high risk” sports/motorcycle driving (medical statistics be damned).

Let people do their thing, shit happens...
I had seen a few people who ended up with injuries doing things many would consider higher risk, I would tell my applicants some of what had happened in the past and let them know what would happen if they themselves ended up with something broke and suggest it would be good to hold off on certain things, I couldn't tell them not to do anything, just paint a picture and let them make their own decisions, I mean they are adults so they can decide for themselves.