• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Secret DITY Question

Mavric09

Is that what she said?
I'm planning on doing a full DITY move across country from Oregon to Pensacola with follow-on orders to Corpus. The JPPSO people handling my move on this end tell me they'll pay for 600lbs to Pensacola then I'll get my full 10000lbs limit to Corpus from Pensacola because of the whole TDY with follow-on to PCS thing. But, I called the Property guys in Corpus and "one of them said" I can fill out the paper work as if I moved straight from Oregon to Corpus. Since, you don't submit the paper work till you get to corpus anyway. I'm estimating I have about 1400lbs total worth of stuff from college. Since I'm doing a full DITY regardless, I'm wondering which would have more in compensation? Either the 600lbs for 3,200 miles to Pcola plus 1400lbs for 800 miles to Corpus, or just 1400lbs for 2400 miles from oregon to corpus? I can't find any charts on moving this much weight for so many miles is this much money, I guess they hoard those like top secret documents.

Big key here also if anyone has an input, I don't want to do anything fraudulent at all. So, if there's a bad idea in here please let me know.

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
It's because these numbers constantly change. The money you receive for doing a DITY move is not just the money to cover moving costs but 'incentive' pay for doing the move yourself. The military pays you 95% of what it would cost for them to pay a moving company to pack and move you and that changes. In most cases, you'll make a pretty good bit of money doing if yourself. However, I would decide whether it would be worth the headache of me packing up everything myself and the money I would make versus it just being easier to let someone else do it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hope you have better luck than I did. I ended up sleeping on an air mattress with 4 boxes of belongings while living in a decently large room in a really nice house with a pool/bar/etc when I was in A-pool/API. Didn't get my stuff until after I had been in Corpus for about a month or two. Nice thing was the $3k+ that got randomly dropped in my account though. You will probably make out alright either way.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Nice thing was the $3k+ that got randomly dropped in my account though.
A big chunk of that was probably DLA, which is supposed to be compensation for "hidden" costs in moving (for example, re-buying perishable food that you must throw away).

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Something to keep in mind. You are eligible for DLA twice in one year. A lot of the admin monkeys will try and say you can only get it once. BS. The second time around is called "Secondary DLA" and isn't quite as much. But it's still there, and free money.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
A big chunk of that was probably DLA, which is supposed to be compensation for "hidden" costs in moving (for example, re-buying perishable food that you must throw away).

True, but it's money all the same.

@ Pepe, yeah I recieved DLA twice in 9 months this last year.

Pilot123

pilot
Also, anyone doing a DITY, check into ABF U-Pack. It seems like a sweet option. The in-laws are in the process of moving right now, are using them, and seem pleased. A Lot eaiser than driving a truck yourself and seems about the same cost.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor

Mostly for non-refundable deposits. That's why you aren't entitled to DLA if you occupy government quarters only when you live out on town.