• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top School doesn't have NROTC

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec, Is it possible for you to give some numbers regarding SNA selection via NROTC? Also, is there any trend that you can identify with the competitiveness of OCS; for how long have these unusually high percentages been around? I'm an analytical guy and numbers and statistics really help with the decision process.

The last time the data was pulled was about a year ago, before I left, this is not normally data that is just out there and easily found, but several years ago when I started on recruiting we had some recruiters spouting bad info, so an officer who was a bit senior pulled the data, and then I continued with some people I knew, and what we found out is the USN does a decent job of distributing unrestricted line designators fairly equally between USNA, NROTC, and OCS, so for rough numbers go with 1/3 for each.

Nick225

This whole decision process is incredibly frustrating to say the least, given all the variables and amount of uncertainty, but hey, I guess that's the path to Naval aviation. I am finding that I really, really do like my top choice schools and can totally see myself happily attending either one. I've wanted to live the classic college life for quite some time and that's partly the reason I didn't apply to the USNA. But I've also wanted to be a Naval aviator for equally as long (I find my story to be quite similar to zmayo85's). With ROTC, I wouldn't get to attend my top choice schools, nor would I get the full on civilian college life I've been looking forward to. OCS would be the ideal scenario for me if my acceptance in 4 years wasn't so uncertain. However, is it really that hard to get into?- even with a 25-50% acceptance rate? Looking through the applications of the selected on this website, the competitive stats seem attainable for me, or so I believe. I have always been a good student (3.9 in HS- I know this doesn't mean jack in college) and I anticipate getting a high GPA by staying motivated throughout all 4 years. Also in regards to the ASTB, I have always been a great standardized test taker (2110 on SAT, again not that this means anything whatsoever) and, after looking at some sample questions and study guides on the web, the questions have all been ones I can answer, again, because of taking advanced Calc and Physics courses, and attaining my PPL.

Now, BDCP could be my saving grace if it ever returns. :confused:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Just my opinion, but you should find a different avatar. You will notice many users have wings under their name. That is because they have earned them, not because they want them.

Nick225

HAL Pilot, I did not mean to imply any sort of wannabe attitude with my avatar. I simply thought I'd put it there as a symbol of what my ultimate goal is, what I'm striving for in the coming years. I'd be perfectly fine changing it if you or anyone else take it as being obnoxious.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot, I did not mean to imply any sort of wannabe attitude with my avatar. I simply thought I'd put it there as a symbol of what my ultimate goal is, what I'm striving for in the coming years. I'd be perfectly fine changing it if you or anyone else take it as being obnoxious.
Concur with HAL, not that it's obnoxious... but it probably (unintended) could give a 'noobee' the impression that you are actually winged. I don't believe you would want that.:oops:
BzB

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
With ROTC, I wouldn't get to attend my top choice schools, nor would I get the full on civilian college life I've been looking forward to. :confused:

NROTC is a full-on college life (provided it's not at a Corps of Cadets school). The only difference is that you wear a uniform once a week and take an extra class per semester. Otherwise, as long as you're not getting DUIs, doing drugs, failing school, or blowing off your NROTC engagements (few that they are), you're cleared weird.

I was NROTC, and I would put my college experience up against anyone's, civilian or otherwise. My collateral NROTC duties made up a small amount of my overall week; otherwise, I was tailgating and chasing women with all my buddies.

TL;DR: "NROTC"
you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
This whole decision process is incredibly frustrating to say the least, given all the variables and amount of uncertainty, but hey, I guess that's the path to Naval aviation. I am finding that I really, really do like my top choice schools and can totally see myself happily attending either one. I've wanted to live the classic college life for quite some time and that's partly the reason I didn't apply to the USNA. But I've also wanted to be a Naval aviator for equally as long (I find my story to be quite similar to zmayo85's). With ROTC, I wouldn't get to attend my top choice schools, nor would I get the full on civilian college life I've been looking forward to. OCS would be the ideal scenario for me if my acceptance in 4 years wasn't so uncertain. However, is it really that hard to get into?- even with a 25-50% acceptance rate? Looking through the applications of the selected on this website, the competitive stats seem attainable for me, or so I believe. I have always been a good student (3.9 in HS- I know this doesn't mean jack in college) and I anticipate getting a high GPA by staying motivated throughout all 4 years. Also in regards to the ASTB, I have always been a great standardized test taker (2110 on SAT, again not that this means anything whatsoever) and, after looking at some sample questions and study guides on the web, the questions have all been ones I can answer, again, because of taking advanced Calc and Physics courses, and attaining my PPL.

Now, BDCP could be my saving grace if it ever returns. :confused:

Sounds like you have a plan. Now go execute and do great things. If you are that confident about OCS, and it sounds like you are, then that path is definitely less of a long term commitment than NROTC is. Honestly, the big draw to NROTC is that it takes care of the school bills and still allows you to have a fairly normal college experience.

Nick225

NROTC is a full-on college life (provided it's not at a Corps of Cadets school). The only difference is that you wear a uniform once a week and take an extra class per semester. Otherwise, as long as you're not getting DUIs, doing drugs, failing school, or blowing off your NROTC engagements (few that they are), you're cleared weird.

I was NROTC, and I would put my college experience up against anyone's, civilian or otherwise. My collateral NROTC duties made up a small amount of my overall week; otherwise, I was tailgating and chasing women with all my buddies.

Quite frankly, I really would not have a problem being in the NROTC; in fact, it was my original plan all along. The matter is that my top school choices don't have ROTC for Navy (referring back to the thread title), therefore bringing about all the complications in this decision.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Yeah we get it dude....
Summary:
You have an enviable choice to make but nobody is going to make it for you. Use the info above or don't. Nobody here is going to establish a NROTC unit at your school of choice anytime soon.
Have fun.

HuggyU2

None
With respect to the AFROTC scholarship: if you accept it, what sort of commitment do you incur?

Nick225

With respect to the AFROTC scholarship: if you accept it, what sort of commitment do you incur?
I believe I have up until the beginning of my sophomore year to decide if I'd want to stay with the program. Thereafter, I would have a service obligation to the Air Force.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hello,

I'm currently in high school and am narrowing down my options for where I want to attend college this next fall. Part of my current decision process lies in the way I'd like to commission into the Navy. I applied for and unfortunately did not receive an NROTC scholarship, but I did receive an AFROTC scholarship of $18,000/yr plus stipend and book expenses; nonetheless, Navy still remains my first choice. My original plan (created a few years back) was to partake in NROTC and hopefully commission as a SNA. However, with my college search and subsequent massive amounts of research and reading this past year I am finding that OCS (and potentially BDCP, if it comes back) is quite a good option to consider.

Currently I have numerous college acceptances to choose from and am finding that my top choices do not have NROTC programs. I like the campus/programs/lifestyle of TCU (Texas Christian) and SMU (Southern Methodist) the best at the moment, but I'm hesitating to commit to either because they lack NROTC programs (though they do have AFROTC). In addition, both of these schools have offered me hefty merit scholarships. On the other hand, my options for schools with NROTC include Purdue, BU (Boston), and Embry-Riddle- Daytona. Like I said, OCS seems to be a good option at this point, as it allows me to enjoy the classic college experience, and I'd be willing to put up with the difficulty of the 3 months in Newport if it meant becoming a SNA.

In summary, what would be best? Is my current thought process logical/wise, and is it best to not base college choice on their ROTC detachments? Any past experiences would be helpful, because I'd hate to go someplace I don't like the best simply for ROTC when I can achieve the same result through OCS.

Thank you in advance.

Quite Simply, go where the money is. When I applied I picked up a full NROTC scholarship and a partial ($15k/yr) AFROTC scholarship. Had I gotten no NROTC scholarship I would have gone Air Force. My cousin applied to both, but didn't get into schools to use his NROTC scholarship (He didn't apply to the one he got it to) but got an AFROTC scholarship and is currently in UPT for the Air Force. Be flexible with your plans, and don't be so willing to turn down a great opportunity to serve now for the change of serving later on in the future. A lot can change in 4 years. As much as we give the Air Force shit, they're still on the same team.