• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Took the CMP plunge!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I just sent my order form into CMP this morning, hopefully I'll get my Service Grade M1 Carbine soon! Any other carbine owners out there? A general question for all you CMP buyers, do all their rifles come covered in cosmoline? Their website did not really specify. I remember seing Nittany03's Garand picks and it looked cleaned up. I hope my service grade looks that good!

m1carbine_pfc_modelgun_wwii.jpg

She will be mine!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope, no Cosmoline. Thankfully. I'd love to get a carbine too, but my next major purchase will be a new TV . . .

You'll probably get a carbine with old wood; I don't think they reserve the right to rewrap Carbines like they do Garands. You might want to double check, though. If they do, I'd recommend asking for unfinished wood if they can do so. Birch is a BITCH to stain even for a talented woodworker, and it's kind of sketchy that they try to make it look like walnut when it's not. Virgin wood + sanding + boiled linseed oil = nice looking rifles.

I also came across a recipe for "Gunny Paste" which is equal parts beeswax, turpentine, and boiled linseed oil. You have to melt the beeswax in a double boiler, then add the turpentine and linseed while it's melted. Then stir and pour into an empty shoe polish tin or something like it. It comes out the consistency of shoe polish. You rub it into the stock until it gets warm from friction, then buff with a terrycloth towel. Looks very nice and supposedly the beeswax gives a little more waterproofing to the wood.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Nope, no Cosmoline. Thankfully. I'd love to get a carbine too, but my next major purchase will be a new TV . . .

You'll probably get a carbine with old wood; I don't think they reserve the right to rewrap Carbines like they do Garands. You might want to double check, though. If they do, I'd recommend asking for unfinished wood if they can do so. Birch is a BITCH to stain even for a talented woodworker, and it's kind of sketchy that they try to make it look like walnut when it's not. Virgin wood + sanding + boiled linseed oil = nice looking rifles.

I also came across a recipe for "Gunny Paste" which is equal parts beeswax, turpentine, and boiled linseed oil. You have to melt the beeswax in a double boiler, then add the turpentine and linseed while it's melted. Then stir and pour into an empty shoe polish tin or something like it. It comes out the consistency of shoe polish. You rub it into the stock until it gets warm from friction, then buff with a terrycloth towel. Looks very nice and supposedly the beeswax gives a little more waterproofing to the wood.

Thanks for the input. If the stock is beat up, I could pick up a new one....even the paratrooper stock! Well, can't get that one until I'm out of CA.