• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Too anxious to get started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Burke

I know I'm probably jumping the gun on this but I don't feel comfortable with the idea of getting to API without any idea of the basics. I'm good on airframes and powerplants but what I'm not good on are things like weather, navigation, using a flight computer, etc. I found a 432 pg book called Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators. It sounds like something that I'm sure I could get some use out of but I don't want to do anything to poison myself, for lack of better words, when it comes time for API and Primary. I've seen where a lot of people with prior flight experience have to relearn everything and I don't want to teach myself any bad habits (I've got too many of them already). Does anyone have any advice to this?

Paul Burke

Does anyone know of any books that would be beneficial? Is there any way to buy the books that are used in API and Primary?

Ski3

I am going to have to partially disagree with Pap about this one. All I know about aerodynamics (minus some info I learned from actual hands-on flying), I know from that book. ...even if the teacher I took the class with was very selective as to what the students needed to know.

This being said, when I took a look at a webpage with some API gouge and saw a scan of one of the Aero tests, I had no problem "passing" it with just the knowledge I have right now.

My advice is to take a look at the book, but don't waste your time going too in depth. Besides, it can't hurt you, it can only help.

Cheers,

Jack Szarkowski
SKI3

Ed Williams

I just finished API and this is the advice i can give. Before classes started, i had no clue about anything that any of the classes dealt with. Aero, Weather, Nav., Engines, and FRR were all like french to me. WHen i checked into the A pool, i got my books and didn't open them until the first day of class. Everything that you need to know you will be taught in class. Granted, you will have to study every night and on the weekends, but you will pick it up if you put the time in. I was going to buy some of the same books you are talking about prior to starting, but never ended up doing it and i'm glad. My class had 3 Aero space engineers (1 of which rolled out for Aero 2) and they said that their degrees helped a bit with Aero 1 and not at all with Aero 2. I know you may want to get a jump, but don't worry about it.
ed

Paul Burke

I had forgot about that website. I saw it several months ago but haven't thought about it in a while. I keep trying to find time to run up to the airport to get a whiz wheel. I've seen the student ones and the metal ones. Is the metal kind the ones that are used in the fleet?

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Hi Folks,
Can't recall where I saw it exactly, but there is a book entitled, "Mental Math for Pilots" (Sounds like an oxymoron to me, but hey what do I know?). Look around the pilot gear/airline hiring sites. It has pretty good gouge that will serve you well not only in flight school, but also in the fleet. If you all only knew the sweat-ex playing with a Mk-6 plotting board was! Maybe they have one at the Museum in P'Cola!

Regards,

Kaman

Mahoney

Paul,
I don't know anything about the AERO book the other people are talking about but I can answer the question about buying the books that will be used at API. When you arrive they issue them to you. If you are anything like the rest of us you will have plenty of time between the day you check in and receive your books and the day you actually class up. You really have no excuse not to be familiar with the subjects by the time you hit the classroom. As for myself I was told that it could be as much as 9 weeks before I class up and that's without being selected for IFS. Keep in mind this wait time is for pilots going to Corpus, it varies a little depending on your specific situation. In the mean time relax and enjoy the free time you have before you hit API.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys need to quit sweatin' API. Have fun and enjoy yourself while you're there. Your success throughout API (and flight training in general), will be directly proportional to the amount of fun you have there. Kind of like the angle of attack vs. lift curve though. The more you increase your angle of attack at a given power setting, the greater the lift that is produced....up to a point at which if you go beyond that angle of attack (AOA) you will stall the wings. Very similiar to the fun factor vs. success relationship while in flight training. Yea, I know, kind of a jacked up explanation of an answer to a question that no one even asked. Take care.

Steve Wilkins

Edited by - Steve Wilkins on 03/01/2002 01:14:03

Edited by - Steve Wilkins on 03/01/2002 16:57:19

Paul Burke

You're right Steve. From looking at the API schedule I can tell that the day will be similar to the way A school is with a few exeptions of course. I feel guilty for going out and having fun when there is work to do which is one of my main motivators I guess to try and get on top of everything and stay on top of it all. I just want to make sure that i go in prepared in every way I can think of from the get go.

...and how could one not have fun in Pensacola? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.