• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tomcats Stickin' Around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrklr

I've recently heard from an F-14 mechanic that they just extended the jet to be in service for another 10 years before the super hornets completely take over. Anyone else hear about this?

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
If you go to the Official Navy website http://www.navy.mil/ there's a sweet picture of a Tomcat over the Mediterranean sea. Go to CURRENT PHOTOS. The Navy Capt. that took the shot says that the Super Hornet will take the Tomcat over in 2007. We could be the last Tomcat generation. The Hi-rez photos make the best damn screen savers.

cman

I've heard that the Tomcat is to be around for another 10 years as well. It could be that the 2007 date is supposed to mark the begining of the phaseout process.

C

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Tomcats are on the way out right now. From what my old roommate told me from the RAG, there are supposed to be no more Tomcats by 2008. That is the story.

leonsparx

probably has a lot to do with the jsf...they want to make sure the jsf will be up and running before they phase out the tomcat. if the jsf introduction is delayed, so will the tomcat phaseout. if it moves up, etc.

grouch

I heard it had to do with the jsf and the superbug. While the new 18 can have 2 seats, they have them set up for 2 pilots not a pilot/rio/. It will take some time to split up the weapon systems and get the bugs worked out. Also, the marines were getting the bulk of the 2 seat superbugs. I think the 14 will be around for 10 more. I hope. All I want for christmas is a 14 seat.

grouch

Thanks jarhead, the guy who told me that has been a source of a lot of bad info. I guess this is just par for the course.

JayManC

the 14 is slated to last into 2007. the navy is to begin phasing them out for proposed transition into the super hornet. JSF was designed to replace the traditional hornet

<insert something witty here:>

Valion310

Woo's my old CAG for getting the first East Coast operatonal super-bug transition's and getting our two squadron's back, I think the two Tomcat now Super Hornets will come back to the CAG next cruise. Then we can drop those goofy VMFA guys ... (ducks incoming fire! [^]) LOL

Valion310 woo's his 4 stars now!

NuSnake

the only people that will be flying 14's are pilots who are already in. Most of which are transfering to a 14 squad from an 18 squad. This is what and instructor out of meridian told me when I talked to him. He was a 14 driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.