• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To all Marine pilots or SNAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviey

To all Marine pilots or SNAs that have completed intermediate level flight training.
I was wondering when you find out what you will be flying (jet, prop, or helo). Is it after API in Pensacola? Or is it after Primary? Also, exactly how competitive is it to get jets? If I studied my @#$! off would I have a good shot, or is it only for the truly gifted? Thanks for you info in advance.
Sgt. Stephenson USMC/ IRR

DBLang

PLC Candidate
I'm not a SNA but...

You'll choose which pipelines you would like to go into most during primary. Then depending on your NSS (how you compare to the rest of the SNA's graduating that week) and the needs of the Navy or Marines as it were, you'll be selected for a certain pipeline. Sometimes a lot of people get jets a particular week, sometimes very few will. The minimum to go into the strike (jets) pipeline is a NSS score of 50 i believe, and the #1 stud in your class gets his first choice. I know some Marines have posted on here that when they went through, the only limit was yourself.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
They had a selection last week...I think the lowest NSS that got jets was a 51. Basically, right now, if you've got better than a 50, you've got the jet slot. Not really competitive. No hercs still, I've got my fingers crossed!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
The student control officer has started posting a list that shows what the NSS's people had for selection and how many "aboves" they averaged per flight to get that NSS. It changes weekly (not by much) so we are able to keep track of it better. Of course this can only be used to see if you're on track or not. You can easily bomb your last few flights and drag your average down. Not to mention you may select on a week with a bunch of Yeagers (thank God I didn't select with Rainman!) and you couldn't possibly beat their NSS's! It's still luck of the draw really.

Rainman

pilot
First of all. .Yeager -- Air Force Bubba. . I think not. .

Secondly, no matter how much you kiss up I won't get you the T45 gouge when you get up here. DOH!

You gonna get drafted in this jetwave with others?
I heard Karl got C130s last time. . he just missed the jet draft. . that some crazy sh*t.

Steviey == Yeah, study your ass off. Once you've finished TBS do everything you can to have knowledge down as well as your flight instructors. Then the only thing that's left is for them to teach you how to fly their way and to be mildly lucky. From posts here and gossip I can tell you that jet selections are very streaky; MUCH more stable in the Corps, but historically a 50 (grade equal to performance of 200 students before you) gets jets some weeks and a 58 others (over the years). Do everything you can to accomplish you goals and know that you'll love any platform and leading Marines.

errrrr.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I want C130's though. And I wouldn't dream of asking you for gouge! Last time I did that, I got "know everything (BI's)." It was good gouge, but not very helpful in the long run! I found out from someone else to use a gouge sheet in the sim, now that's good gouge! But, fortunately, I never got the opportunity to look at it because I was too busy flying! Besides, you're TS. Hopefully I'm not smart enough (if I end up there) and they'll send me to the split.

Air Force or not, how can you complain about being compared to Yeager? Come on !!!!????

tali264

Originally posted by jboomer
Not to mention you may select on a week with a bunch of Yeagers (thank God I didn't select with Rainman!) and you couldn't possibly beat their NSS's!
And the head gets bigger......and bigger............and bigger...............and bigger

nah, I'm just kidding. That's just jealousy talking. I never realized we were in the presence of greatness
tongue_125.gif

tali264

LOL........you're right - I did my part in his ego boost. But then again....you started it!!!

Where are you in training?

Rainman

pilot
I know you want Hercs. . I was just teasing that you were gonna get thrown in a jet like so many others. Good luck man.

Well, if you do get "screwed" (in my eyes "lucky"), I have T2 gouge as well (roommates). . . . How much longer you got?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Is it like once in a blue moon for a SNA to get Hercs? That's what I would LIKE to have, but I'll take whatever the Corps needs me to do. Thanks.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Got canceled for PA-5 yesterday and today. Probably Monday as well -- unless the weather cooperates. Forms next week. Moving along, I guess. Doing better than most, schedule wise. I would love to fly anything the Corps has to offer as well, I wouldn't be unhappy with jets! Just thinking about another year/year and a half of school sucks. I really still don't know. We'll see how forms go -- if I dig 'em I may change my mind.
Not many Herc slots come up. I haven't heard of any for the last few months. Doesn't mean there haven't been any though. I don't think many request them either. I'm expecting things to change a little here in the near future.
Good luck up north! I imagine (unless I really blow it the next few flights) I'll probably be up there in July.

Status
Not open for further replies.