• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To All Kings Point Grads( same post as in commissioning board)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdb21

Hi,

I am currently a freshman at a large state university. I was supposed to be at USMMA this year but blew out my leg a few weeks prior to reporting. I am planning on going back to the Academy in the class of 08 ( as long as DODMERB stops yanking me around, but thats another story). Anyway, I have a few questions for any KP grads.
1. What are the Military Prospects for grads? - I know 110% after doing ROTC in college that I want to go into the military after graduation, the problem is that IN MY OPINION( do not want to offend any ROTC grads) ROTC is a joke. I know that KP has great options for guys and gals interested in flight, what about other combat arms- especially in the Army. Is there any chance to get an Infantry/Armour/ Field Artillery slot in the Army/ USMC?
2. In terms of the Navy, how doe KP prepare you?
3. What kind of professional development, in term of the military, is given at KP.
I am excited about KP, and I think that it is the "best kept secret in the US", but it is hard to find info out about it, so any help would be great. Thanks and feel free to email me.
Chris Barber

T.M.Gray

Chris,
I'm not a KP grad but my son is. As we live nearby, my wife and I have been active in the Parents' Association and continue to be a Plebe Sponsor family. I'm sorry no KP grads have answered your post, so I'll do the best I can. There is a Naval Science Department, consisting of about four officers, a chief and a civilian secretary. They are the instructors for the Naval Science curriculum. I trust that the courses are similar to what one would get in NROTC or USNA. CDR Thomas Hodgeson is the head of the department. His phone number is 516 773-5351. I'm sure he would be able to answer any questions you have about opportunities in the navy. The army liason is Capt. Shane Barnes at 516 773-5424.
The Naval Science department also arranges internships with navy units. My son did his with a Prowler squadron. He is now in navy flight school. His roommate did one on an aircraft carrier. He is now an intel officer on a carrier. I trust the army has similar opportunities, but I don't have any specifics. There are also liason officers for the Air Force, Marine Corps.and the Coast Guard.
Check out the catalog on line (www.USMMA.edu). Call Admissions if you need help with DODMERB. Call CDR Hodgson or Capt. Barnes with your career questions. Feel free to email me directly if you have any other questions you think I might be able to help you with. Good luck. Hope to see you report in on July 9th. Acta non verba.

cdb21

Mr.Gray-
Thank you for your help. All of the DODMERB stuff is worked out and I have my appointment. It is a relief knowing I am all checked out and ready to go. I met Capt.Barnes last year for my candidate visit, and he told me that as of currently they only had Transportation Corps and Engineer Corp slots for the Army but he was working on opening up new slots in other combat arms, I really hope that those other slots get opened up because after dong ROTC at college I have grown to really like Infantry stuff ( for lack of a better term). I think I will try and see if he knows any more. Do you know anything about the Marine Corps or does you son, and how they might have other slots besides flight open to grads? I know 100% I want to go active duty after graduation, and am hoping they will be other Branchs/Specialities that will be open besides flight/SWO-Navy? But I am very pleased that I am back on track and will be at KP this summer, it is the chance of a lifetime. Thanks again for your help.
Chris Barber

Status
Not open for further replies.