• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time of year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bully

Guys,
Does the time of year that you submit your packet for consideration have anything to do with selection? It seems that if you submit it later in the year, all the pilot slots might be filled by the time you get it in. But, I don't even know if that's how it works...I'm just wondering.
Also, I know this has probably been tread over quite a bit, but what would you guys consider to be a competitive GPA?
I'm about to contact my Officer recruiter, and I'm trying to get as much unbiased info as possible before I talk to him...that's why all the cheese-d!ck questions.
Any other info, advice, etc. is much appreciated.
Thanks-
Bully

Edited by - Bully on 15 May 2000

Edited by - Bully on 15 May 2000

Dave Shutter

I have a question along these lines. Between the two or three knucklehead recruiters I've had during my ongoing application process, I've gotten completey different info as to when they announce SNA slots for the year?? I first called in a Nov. and was told they're announced in Oct. and were all gone for the year and to call back the next summer to get ready. A second guy said they're announced Jan. 1 with the new FY. Anybody know anything definitive, please??

To your question Bully: ROTC and Academy people apply in the fall, from what I've read here, and I would quess that most OCS candidates apply after graduation, spring and summer. So basically it doesn't look like there is any real "ideal" time to apply. I would go with Q's advice and apply ASAP.

As for GPA, well, when I told my recruiter that I was prior service with flight time he didn't bat an eye but when I told him I had a 3.68 GPA, he was all smiles. I asked him that same question: what's competetive mean? He said (his words only!) that the higher the better, but usually anything under 3.0 wasn't worth his time. Sound's strict but remember there is an adademic element involved in this field, just read the training journals and look at the OCS website...again, the words of one recruiter. But SNA's here have said that the service is hurting for pilots, the AF is for a fact! Myself, I'm technically past the Navy age-max and recenty had knee surgery, but until NASC officialy rejects my application, I still believe I have a shot.

hope this helps, best of luck!

D

Status
Not open for further replies.