• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tikka .308 hunting rifle

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Anybody have any experience with it? Thoughts?

Buddy of mine has one in .270. Nicely accurate out of the box shooting sub-moa with just about anything he fed it. I don't care for the plastic part on the receiver but I'll admit to never hearing of one breaking. I'm also not a fan of magazines in my hunting rifles but that's just preference (I lost one from a 788 and it took a long time to find another)

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Well, very insightful thus far. Thanks pugs for weighing in.

Per your link, A-4, Chuck Hawks obviously doesn't think too highly of them. I have never heard of this guy before but I will certainly consider his opinion as I continue my investigation.

Deer season is approaching fast.

With that, if anybody here is "in the know" on optics, and would like to weigh in on "best bang for the buck" optics for a .308 to be used primarily for deer, feel free.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
With that, if anybody here is "in the know" on optics, and would like to weigh in on "best bang for the buck" optics for a .308 to be used primarily for deer, feel free.[/FONT]

Think less about "for deer" and more about what country you'll be hunting. My go-to scope for hunting rifles is the Leupold 2.5-8x36. It's light (20 oz's) and I hunt in places that the furthest shot is maybe 200 yards and most of my deer are killed with it at less than 3X and closer than 50 yards. With that in mind I shoot the same scope, but equipped with a target turret out to 500 meters on a Cooper m22 in .308 for metallic silhouette. Here's one on my .257 Roberts

L1000635.jpg

Here's one on my Kimber 7mm-08 (on the right). The rifle on the left is my brothers Ruger M77 ultralight in .257 Roberts and it's sporting a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 which also a great all around scope. It's in the same price range, a bit bulkier and my give you 35 more seconds of shooting light due to it's larger objective.

Rifles.jpg

Scope money is pretty much whatever you want once you get in the decent range. For my purposes either the Leupold or Zeiss I mentioned are good and the Nikon Prostaff models are highly recommended as well. Any of them are going to have a solid warranty if you need it. If you want to go nuts look up Schmidt and Bender. I've had a chance to look through one out in the field and it was truly incredible but I'm just not to the point of spending upwards of $1500 for a scope which after all is an aiming device. I reserve that territory for my bino's which are Leica.