• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thunder over Tucson, Davis Monthan Airshow

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone going to fly out to DM for the airshow next weekend? My chapter of the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation will have our UH-1B Gunship and AH-1F Cobra on the ramp. Looks like I won't make it, but stop in and take a look at the aircraft. Actual Vietnam veterans. Beautiful aircraft we are very proud of. Some of the guys know me as Wink, but if you mention the Navy airline pilot they will know who you are talking about. Ask, just in case I make it after all.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Tucson is such an awesome city - is there an AMARC tour where one can wander around vs the bus tour that Pima Air Museum does?

CAMike

None
Contributor
Great question Chuck! A few friends and I are on the 2PM Friday bus tour. They needed our SSN's for the bus tour so a walking tour might require a current security clearance.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I flew out of Marana (Pinal) for eight weeks a few years back. I had a Jeep as my rental car and drove up the dirt roads at Mt. Lemmon and explored the Saguaro National Park. I also had friends who lived out there. I HAD A BLAST!

I did the buss tour at Pima Air Museum. It was neat, but I would love to get out and look around.

Pinal! LOL Nothing like having 747s coming in to land VFR on CTAF.

BenDog

Anyone going to fly out to DM for the airshow next weekend? My chapter of the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation will have our UH-1B Gunship and AH-1F Cobra on the ramp. Looks like I won't make it, but stop in and take a look at the aircraft. Actual Vietnam veterans. Beautiful aircraft we are very proud of. Some of the guys know me as Wink, but if you mention the Navy airline pilot they will know who you are talking about. Ask, just in case I make it after all.
Got a ride on one of the Cobras at Thunder Over Michigan 2015. As far as warbird ride folks go, AAHF had their stuff together.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Tucson is such an awesome city - is there an AMARC tour where one can wander around vs the bus tour that Pima Air Museum does?

Basically, no. The only way to get the "full" tour is to deliver an aircraft there. We arrived late (after noon) and our Navy AMARC reps still took the time to let us go everywhere in the .gov vehicle. I think they were done long before we were.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

What did that set you back? <curious>
I haven't crewed a ride day for awhile. Was busy on the restoration front. I believe the AZ Chapter charges about $350. It is short, but no one has ever complained. The ride profile out of our home base adjacent the Boeing Plant test area is actually fairly intense for a civilian, attack runs, guns and rockets and return to target,

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
525 for 45 min flight. It was pretty darn cool, we did all that Wink describes.
Sounds right, for the long ride. The 350ish is for a short ride. When flying out of home plate we are less than 5 minutes from the oparea so you still get a pretty good demo.

BenDog

Sounds right, for the long ride. The 350ish is for a short ride. When flying out of home plate we are less than 5 minutes from the oparea so you still get a pretty good demo.

I was really impressed with the Cobra. Couldn't pass it up and WELL worth it!! Again, AAHF staff super professional.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While we are in Tucson, the HQ Chapter (out of Atlanta) will be at the Space Coast War Bird Show in Titusville, FL this weekend.
https://nbbd.com/festivals/warbird/
Couple of our chapter guys are flying commercial at own expense to support the show. At least one of our pilots will be there. Not sure if he will be flying the Cobra or Huey. Name is Tom.