• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Those two DDGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Gents,

I was amazed by the fact that no one on this forum paid an attention to two collisions involved those two USN destroyers this summer, DDG-56 and -62. Maybe I am violating some unwritten law by asking this? If so, let's count it as my "in-job training" here, but still I'd take a risk to ask.
First of all, my prayers with the casualties and MIAs. Second, no one who once stood OOD at sea, no matter which navy or country, can be stupid enough to judge one or another bridge to be guilty, sitting in armchair over beer or coffee - there could be absolutely disasterous situations with SA totally lost by everyone on bridge. It's a sea, the most cruel environment that people could face on this planet, you all know it perhaps better than I do.
So the humble question is: can we suppose that both collisions are to some degree the outcome of some skills shortage of DDGs' COs? And if so - what are the roots? Are they of tactical, leadership, personal or some other origin?
Or - my classmates are driving the container vessels all around the globe, and their opinion of the training and readiness of merchant mariners from the Orient world is way too far from positive - the most part of the blame lays on the commercial bridges?
Honestly, I'd like to believe in latter. Am I right?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's being discussed. Just not in a part of the site you have access to.

Status
Not open for further replies.