• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

This guy is not me...........

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I don't quite have a million rounds of ammo. But, I am somewhere between him and the other guy mentioned, in terms of ammo. I do have my eye on two new ones. One is a Romanian AK-47 and the other is the Co-Pilot model shown here: http://www.wildwestguns.com/CoPilot_And_Guide_Rifles/copilot_and_guide_rifles.html

I bet the thing they will focus on are the two 'illegal' assault weapons.

NORCO, California (AP) -- More than 1 million rounds of ammunition, a cache of weapons and a tunnel were found at a man's home after an explosive fire that forced a neighborhood evacuation, authorities said Friday.

Crews worked to fortify the tunnel, which measured 5 feet wide by 8 feet long, to ensure it was safe. It appeared to be at least 10 feet deep and led into a backyard, authorities said.

The fire Thursday afternoon at the home in Norco, about 45 miles east of Los Angeles, caused some of the ammunition to explode.

The man tried to run back into the house after firefighters arrived and had to be restrained by sheriff's deputies, Riverside County Sheriff's Deputy Juan Zamora said.

After the blaze was extinguished, crews discovered metal and wooden boxes of ammunition for shotguns, small handguns and assault rifles.

On Friday, sheriff's deputies and agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives combed the house for evidence.

Dozens of metal and cardboard boxes filled with ammunition for shotguns, small handguns and assault rifles sat in a driveway. Two of the assault rifles were illegal, Zamora said.

The man had no permit for 75 pounds of black gunpowder that was also recovered, Zamora said.

No arrests had been made. The man, whose identity was not released, was taken to a hospital where he will receive a psychological evaluation, Zamora said.

Last April, authorities said they found more than 1,300 weapons and 89,000 rounds of ammunition in the San Bernardino County home of a man who claimed to belong to a militant group with aims to overthrow Cuban dictator Fidel Castro. Robert Ferro of Upland faces counts of unlawfully owning and failing to register guns.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
When my wife and I were really burning through ATA targets, we would routinely have around 40 pounds of powder in kegs along with maybe 30k rounds of 12 gauge target loads....that's just target loads mind you...for one weapon. Yeah...90k or so is not that big a deal. A shame those who know know, and those who don't, never will hear.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When my wife and I were really burning through ATA targets, we would routinely have around 40 pounds of powder in kegs along with maybe 30k rounds of 12 gauge target loads....that's just target loads mind you...for one weapon. Yeah...90k or so is not that big a deal. A shame those who know know, and those who don't, never will hear.

I suspect that there are regulatory/safety considerations of having that quantity of explosive material though. I don't know what the laws are governing civilians on these matters, but the the Navy makes you jump through all kinds of hoops and requirements for the storage of relatively small quantities of "low explosives" (1.4 stuff), so I wouldn't think it unreasonable for there to be regulations for private citizens.

Brett

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Not that I care (anymore) about CA laws, but I think only black powder is considered an explosive and smokeless powder is a propellant. I also think this is federal law, via the ATF, as well.

"The man had no permit for 75 pounds of black gunpowder that was also recovered, Zamora said."

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Feddoc is right on this one Brett...at least in regards to the powder.

I think you are correct though that most states, if not limit, then regulate somehow, the amount of ammunition that you can store in your home. Honestly however, I don't know the specifics of the laws...anywhere.:D The reason I never inquired was that it was how I grew up. My family, my wife's family and half of our friends shot competitively so...maybe not the right answer IAW the law but...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not that I care (anymore) about CA laws, but I think only black powder is considered an explosive and smokeless powder is a propellant. I also think this is federal law, via the ATF, as well.

"The man had no permit for 75 pounds of black gunpowder that was also recovered, Zamora said."

From a cursory search, looks like 50 pounds is the magic number for storage of black powder. BATF does not consider small arms ammo (or components thereof) as low explosives.

Spell check wants to turn BATF into BARF. :D

Brett

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
1000 rounds is an arsenal of ammo for the news. 1000 rounds is a normal shipment for me. Morons.

Lawman

None
1000 rounds is an arsenal of ammo for the news. 1000 rounds is a normal shipment for me. Morons.

Ive got just shy of 1000 rounds in magazines, let alone the stuff I have in boxes.

While Ill admit they could probably cite this guy for some ordinance on improper storage of hazmat the fact that its gun powder and not mass propane storage, gasoline, or some mad scientist's DIY home pure O2 pump is just chum for the media machine. People easily identify the idea that gunpowder is explosive, even if in reality its a very poor one in comparison to some of the other things people have. One of the jobs I worked had a 750 Gallon propane storage tank next to an apartment complex, the day that thing goes off..... Lets just say it'll make some national news.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Well, the 75 lbs of blackpowder is sure as heck explosive! I used to shoot a lot of muzzle loaders and had a fair stash of FFG and FFG but can't imagine it was ever over 10 lbs or so.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I don't shoot blackpowder that much anymore, but I have alot laying around my parents house. It's great for blowing up ant hills and such...