• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thighs shaking after workout

eahmed4

Ive started running again to train my body for OCS but I have been a huge couch potato the last few months and after running on the elliptical, my legs have been shaking really violently. Does anyone know of any remedies to prevent this? Or is it just happening because I have been sitting on my ass for so long, my body is reacting violently?

Mos

None
I'm not a doctor, but have heard this can be associated with muscle fatigue due to increased workouts, or maybe low blood sugar if you're not eating much before working out. You could try easing your runs a little or eating an energy bar beforehand.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Talk to a Doc not people on the internet.
How about Captain Obvious? Can we talk to him? ?

@Pags is right, talk to a doc. I have felt it before but only after some monster work (like a one-day, 50 mile hike), but it clears up. These days I find my fat shakes pretty hard if I pretent to run.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'm not a doctor, but have heard this can be associated with muscle fatigue due to increased workouts, or maybe low blood sugar if you're not eating much before working out. You could try easing your runs a little or eating an energy bar beforehand.
It sounds like either an acute sugar and/or hydration problem or a conditioning problem. In either case, it should fade and go away with regular exercise combined with a healthy diet and proper rest (i.e. within days or weeks).

Like what @Griz882 describes, I've felt it a bit before after running stairs pretty aggressively (multiple trips up and down 20+ story building).

It's still worth asking a real doctor, although polling us internet schleps doesn't hurt.

Pags

N/A
pilot
That's sage advice, but if it were me, I'd probably do that if symptoms persisted as I'd hate for a doctor's visit to turn into some disqualifying diagnosis.
Fair point. I'd be surprised that one Doc visit would result in a DQ as I'm sure the other folks hypotheses are right in that this is some combination of being out of shape, overall diet, pre-work out diet, recent sleep, stress, etc. If the OP goes a bit less hard and has some water and a granola bar before working out odds are they'll be ok. But..there is a chance there may be something else at work in there.

u73829

This happened to me a lot before I realized that I had nothing in my system to burn during a workout (as in, working out without having eaten anything 4-5 hours before). Have an apple or a banana about 30-45 minutes before you workout, a meal 2-3 hours beforehand if you can.

CAMike

None
Contributor
Since the OP hasn't chimed in since the original post I thought I'd offer some insight. Below is a training video that addresses the root causes of leg shaking. 2 take aways: 1. Don't lock out your knees. 2. You must keep you back arched during the exercise. It's the most PG rated clip that I could locate regarding this topic.

exNavyOffRec

Since the OP hasn't chimed in since the original post I thought I'd offer some insight. Below is a training video that addresses the root causes of leg shaking. 2 take aways: 1. Don't lock out your knees. 2. You must keep you back arched during the exercise. It's the most PG rated clip that I could locate regarding this topic.

I found this video very interesting, however after 4 hours of watching it I don't think I can do what she is able to do, but I am not giving up yet, I owe it to you since you spent the time to find and post this video to invest at least 4 more hours before I make my final decision!