• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

They walked away from this...!?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
http://www.koaa.com/story/35328970/caught-on-camera-plane-hits-power-lines-during-crash

Washington -

(KING/NBC News) A driver's dashboard camera was rolling when a small plane crashed through power lines and onto a highway Tuesday in Mukilteo, Washington.

The single-engine Piper PA32 crashed around 3:30 p.m., immediately after taking off the runway at Paine Field, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

"Maybe 500-1,000 feet off the ground, they experienced an engine anomaly," said Tom Little, an investigator with the National Transportation Safety Board.

Officer Myron Davis with Mukilteo Police said the plane first hit power lines.

"It struck the light pole where it erupted a fuel cell. It spilled fuel onto the roadway, onto a vehicle which ignited," said Officer Davis.

Amanda Hayes says her work vehicle was scratched by a wing of the plane.

"We definitely felt the fireball as it went over the van," said Hayes. "I'm just thankful to be here."

The pilot and the passenger escaped without injury.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I remember in a class, at some point in my career, being told that if the impact/crater is longer than 15 feet (or some other value) the chances of surviving increase exponentially.

It looks like, barring any sudden stops against a building or pole, these guys had a pretty solid belly landing profile. Sometimes you make the best of a shitty no-win situation and your God smiles upon you that day...

Glad no one got hurt...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's possible that hitting that traffic light pole emptied their fuel tanks before impact.