• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Possibilites of the College Program

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Took a break from knocking out some of my term papers for finals this semester and was kinda pondering this.. Wanted to see if I could get some input from any NROTC guys here..

I will find out at the end of the month if I got picked up for the 2yr Scholarship or College Program... With respect to the College Program how realistic is it usually to get offered this if you do not get the scholarship?

The reason I ask is this:
While I am always an optimist, 6 years active duty in the Navy has also taught me to be a realist.

From what I gather and was told I did phenomenal and was 5X5 in the personality/character/background department due to my outstanding service in the Navy as well as my current employment with the FAA.

2 things I feel that are weighing me down are
- My 2.74 GPA (This was due to a family matter which I wrote a memo to the board about and will be rectified to well above a 3.0 by this Fall)
- My Non-Technical Major (Political Science)

So with that said I guess you can say getting close to crunch time I am kinda getting nervous of not getting picked up. Honestly I would LOVE the monetary help from the scholarship... But I will be absolutely copestetic and jump at the opportunity of the College Program because my college is already taken care of via GI Bill.

Ultimately I just wanted some input from some of you guys already in the system as to how they are about picking up College Programmers since I am lacking a little for scholarship requirements but I seem to exceed those wanted for the CP.

And ultimately yes If I do not get both I will be getting my package together for BDCP.. But I would really like to be part of the unit at my school

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
BDCP is less B.S. and more money. If I were in your position I would go for BDCP.

navy09

None
IIRC, you can only do CP for your first two years. After your sophomore year, they either a) give you a scholarship, b) put you on "advanced standing"- basically a CP with a stipend and book money, or c) kick you out. To my knowledge, the advanced standing is hardly used anymore.

So the point is, I'm not sure you're eligible for CP. Contact the unit's Recruiting Officer for more information. Have you been in contact with them? It might not be too late for the CO there to write a letter for your package.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Yes I have been in contact with them... they are the channels I went through to submit my package.. and according to the NROTC website 2year apps are able to receive the college program for their last 2 years if I am reading it correctly. Below is copy and pasted from the official website. Bolded some of the info.

NROTC COLLEGE PROGRAM
• Two- or Four-year programs
• Applicants selected from students already attending or accepted by colleges with NROTC programs
• Pays for uniforms and instructional fees for naval science courses
• College Program students selected for "advanced standing" receive a stipend for maximum of 20 months. Advance standing is only available starting the junior year of college. Stipend per academic month is $350 junior year and $400 senior year.
• Students will complete naval science and other university courses, a few specific university courses, and attend one summer training session
o Normally at sea for Navy officers
o Normally at Quantico, VA for Marine Corps-option midshipmen
• Four-year applicants apply through professors of naval science upon commencement of freshman year
• Two-year applicants apply before spring of sophomore year
• When accepted, two-year applicants will attend six-and-a-half week Naval Science Institute program in Newport, RI during summer between sophomore and junior years

o On graduation, two- and four-year College Program midshipmen may be commissioned ensigns in the Naval Service or second lieutenants in the Marine Corps
o Obligation of eight years commissioned service, at least three of which must be active duty

navy09

None
I stand corrected. Well, assuming you don't get the scholarship but get Advanced Standing- that would be a tough choice. You're talking about $350 a month ($400 your senior year), plus a few hundred for books each semester...not much in the grand scheme of things- especially if you get picked up for BDCP.

The advantages- you'd get to go on cruise, though as a prior E you probably wouldn't get much out of it besides a few cool ports. Even though you'd be a MIDN, if you showed up with enlisted warfare pins and a full ribbon rack, you'd be treated as an OC. If it were me, I'd take the BDCP money and run- your call though.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Well like I said my NROTC app is already in, I am away on business currently so wont be able to complete my BDCP app until May. By then I will know the results of the NROTC app. My logic is this if offered the CP regardless of it being less beneficial it is still a sure thing. So ultimately thats why I was curious as to how many usually get picked up for that.

cclement

None
I'm not sure how it works for juniors in college, but my unit will accept any freshman or sophomores as a college programmer as long as they adhere by our requirements. If they are a standard midshipman they will pick up a scholarship within a semester or two. I think you have a good chance of picking up the scholarship even though you have a not great GPA and an undesirable major (that's what they called my economics major...).

If you applied through the unit what did the officer tell you was likely to happen? Each unit's CO is allowed to give out one scholarship to anyone they want. At our unit they often give these scholarships to CP. Whatever the LT is telling you is probably a good indicator. If they told you that you have a good package then you probably have a good chance.