• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Navy is giving me too much money...

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Ok... I don't know if I'm getting over-paid or not... but hopefully someone here can tell me if this is normal... or what I should expect.

I DITY moved 600 pounds in two vehicles from Indiana to Pensacola... Finally got all the paperwork filled out and sent in. About 4 weeks after mailing off my package, I received a deposit into my checking account (same place my paycheck goes)

July 6th - ACH DEP-DFAS-CLEVELAND IATS PAY - $2950.15

Now, it looked like it comes from the same place that gives me my paycheck.. . but it arrived mid-pay-cycle... and nothing shows up on my LES in referance to it. So I assumed it was my DITY move. I thought it was too much, and I called my Navy Liaison at Vance... but they told me it sounds pretty normal and to just accept the cash. 3 grand is apparently normal for a DITY?

Then... yesterday, my father calls me and tells me a letter came in the mail from the government. I told him to open it (his address is my HOR), and it was a $495 check with some paperwork talking about a DITY move and how it was less the advance I took back in February to make the move. I told him to forward it down to me, but it seems I got paid in two different forms (electronic and by check) at two different times, in two different amounts for the same move.

I have made a second partial DITY from P-cola to Vance, but I didn't take an advance on that one, and I haven't submitted my packet yet.

Is this normal? I'm worried that someone's going to come calling soon... because $3500 for a 600 pound move seems a lot. But YN1 at Vance is telling me not to worry... even though he admits he doesn't know much about it and doesn't have time to get too indepth into it (he is the only Naval personnel on base).

Could someone with more DITY experience (especially new Ensigns who did their first non-PCS DITY to P-cola) step in and let me know how things worked for them?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yeah...trying to think back...I'm old...no jokes...

I think the check you got at your fathers is likely the payment for the dity move. When you fill out dity paperwork you have to specify a location for the payout to be sent to so....did you specify your dad?

As far as the 2900 in your bank account...it could be a travel claim payment. Were you entitled to DLA? If you were that sounds fairly typical. However, from experience, with any money you are not sure you deserve in the military...DO NOT spend it. The military is remarkable because any money they owe you and are late paying will take months...any money you owe them will be removed from your next (or 6) paycheck.:) Welcome to PSD....

kray1395

I believe the $3000 is for per diem you are entitled to while living in Pensacola. Anyone who goes to Vance or Corpus for primary gets per diem for their time in API. The $495 should be for your DITY move. Please don't take this as gospel but I think you're in good shape. I did primary in Whiting so no money for me, but I have friends who received big payments.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Basically...with your two leg move....this sounds liek what you are entitled to.
It wasn't a two leg move... yet. Because i haven't filled out the packet and mailed in my reciepts for the second move from P-cola to Vance yet...

I believe the $3000 is for per diem you are entitled to while living in Pensacola. Anyone who goes to Vance or Corpus for primary gets per diem for their time in API. The $495 should be for your DITY move. Please don't take this as gospel but I think you're in good shape. I did primary in Whiting so no money for me, but I have friends who received big payments.

I had heard the rumor that Vance people used to get per-diem for their P-cola time... I thought it had been nixed... but I suppose that is as explainable an excuse as any.

Since I've been able to get nowhere with anyone on the phonelines who knows what the payment is for... or if I am entitled to it... how long do I need to let it sit before I can start using it? this money is just begging to be invested... or my mother does need new carpet in the house, and it is her Birthday soon.

I mean, the $3000 payment was received over a month ago... almost three pay cycles without them "reclaiming" any money...

MasterBates

Purdue-
They came after me for overpayment of DLA 9 months after the fact. I did not get DLA when I moved to Whiting, because I lived in the BOQ. (Geo Bachelor)

I asked three times if it was legit, all three said YES. I kept records.

Fast forward to the RAG, 9 months later. $0.00 Pay Due on my LES for 01APR03. WTF?!

I went to PSD, they told me I was NOT entitled to DLA, and as a result I was not getting paid. And my next check would be $1000 short too...

I went to the RAG CO via the Student Control Officer (TOAD RULES).

CO determined that I showed due dilligence in checking 3 times and keeping a record of who I talked to. CAPT Walley went to PSD and had them stuff it, and I got my $$ back.

Talk to PSD, record who/when you talk to, and keep a record.

FWIW, I got Per Diem in API as well, but I submitted a travel claim each month, and got paid monthly for my hotel and food.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Purdue-
They came after me for overpayment of DLA 9 months after the fact. I did not get DLA when I moved to Whiting, because I lived in the BOQ. (Geo Bachelor)

I asked three times if it was legit, all three said YES. I kept records.

Fast forward to the RAG, 9 months later. $0.00 Pay Due on my LES for 01APR03. WTF?!

I went to PSD, they told me I was NOT entitled to DLA, and as a result I was not getting paid. And my next check would be $1000 short too...

I went to the RAG CO via the Student Control Officer (TOAD RULES).

CO determined that I showed due dilligence in checking 3 times and keeping a record of who I talked to. CAPT Walley went to PSD and had them stuff it, and I got my $$ back.

Talk to PSD, record who/when you talk to, and keep a record.

FWIW, I got Per Diem in API as well, but I submitted a travel claim each month, and got paid monthly for my hotel and food.

I stayed in an apartment and got BAH through API... not in a hotel, so I didn't think I was eligible for Per Diem. And pardon my ignorance, I'm new at this. What exactly is DLA?

MasterBates

DisLoation Allowance.

To cover 1 time PCS expenses such as Deposits, Util Deposits, other 1 time expenses, car registrations (if you have kids in public schools, some states make you have local plates, Kansas comes to mind), insurance down payments, that sort of crap.

If you move to Govt Housing, you do not get DLA IIRC.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
It wasn't a two leg move... yet. Because i haven't filled out the packet and mailed in my reciepts for the second move from P-cola to Vance yet...

Right... i got that...What I'm saying though is that the money that got sent to your Dad is likely your DITY move money...The money in your bank account is likely your travel claim liquidation for both legs of your move. The first leg, from Purdue to P-Cola and the second from P-Cola to Vance.

Masterbates is right....it is never too late for the Navy to come get it back. Find the answer or die trying...ok...well maybe just try real hard.;)

Jay

~$400 for a DITY sounds right. ~$2900 for DLA sounds a little high, only a couple hundred or so, are you married? That might explain it. And finally, check your LES and see if you got advanced pay. It's anywhere from 1/2 month to I "think" 3 months pay, taken out of every paycheck until you pay it back. I got advanced pay on accident once, and spent the next year paying it back, wasn't worth it. Get used to getting random amounts of $$ from the gov't for DITY, DLA, PER DIEM, when you move, I never now what it is, I typically have no problem finding a use for it though. And that per diem stuff about Corpus and Vance students is bogus, they 86'd that a long time ago.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can check MyPay also. You can check any recent (30-90 days) travel claim payments and see the full breakdown of what was added together (DLA, hotel, gas, per diem, etc.) to get the payment that you received.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
You can check MyPay also. You can check any recent (30-90 days) travel claim payments and see the full breakdown of what was added together (DLA, hotel, gas, per diem, etc.) to get the payment that you received.

I appreciate the help everyone. Hoover, the reason I posted is I'm having trouble finding out hwat is payment for what. I hadn't thought to look in that part of MyPay yet (still new to MyPay) but even so... it's next to helpless. Doesn't tell me what any of the payment is for, just the final amount. But... unless I'm reading this wrong, it implies I was only authorized $0.00? But it does look like this was a TDY payment from January through June... For whoever said that program was "86'd"

DITYMOVE.jpg

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot

NOT true, for Corpus at least. You won't get it, we all tried when we got to Corpus.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I've been told that all that crap at the bottom of your MyPay stub that is under the heading of "accounting classification for budget purposes only" explains what you're getting money for. Find someone who can explain what it is...I would guess that someone would live in the AF equivalent of PSD, or call the Pensacola PSD and put up with the phone tag and get your answer. Just don't spend the money on hookers and blow...yet.