• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The "INTERVIEW"

Coach

Does anybody know how much weight the interview really holds? Also, if the interview was given by an 06 or higher does that have weight.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know the NRD loves it when I do their interviews, and I am an O-5. They seem to think it helps, but I am not sure if it is weighted. I rather doubt it. I also know that it makes a difference if it is the NRD CO (who is a O-5). The NRD skipper offered to do my son's interview and told me it would give him a leg up.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NRD: Navy Recruiting District Headquarters. They are responsible for all recruiting (officer, enlisted and NROTC) in a specific geographical area. There are about 30 nationwide. CO and XO are O-5s. NROTC is usually coordinated (it really isn't a recruiting function) by senior enlisted, Chief Petty Officers and higher. They track the NRDs applications, facilitate the process for applicants and answer questions about the NROTC program. Since they are enlisted, they usually don't know a great deal of NROTC in general, but definitely know the application process and are good resources. These guys will usually do the interview. So one could surmise that an interview done by a senior officer might be of some advantage over an interview conducted by the NROTC coordinator, who is a Chief. I don't have any proof of that. An interview from the Commanding Officer though does seem to elevate the selection rate quite a bit at my local NRD. I have to say that an interview conducted by anyone, senior or not, that is not familiar with the process or what the Board is looking for will not be helpful, and in the extreme detrimental. I have many years experience with recruiting and in my retirement conduct many interviews for Navy Academy applicants. I don't think the NRD would be as eager to have some retired O-6 who knows nothing about the process interview one of their applicants, not know the key questions to ask, and score him inappropriately low. Exactly what circumstance are you contemplating?

Coach

NRD: Navy Recruiting District Headquarters. They are responsible for all recruiting (officer, enlisted and NROTC) in a specific geographical area. There are about 30 nationwide. CO and XO are O-5s. NROTC is usually coordinated (it really isn't a recruiting function) by senior enlisted, Chief Petty Officers and higher. They track the NRDs applications, facilitate the process for applicants and answer questions about the NROTC program. Since they are enlisted, they usually don't know a great deal of NROTC in general, but definitely know the application process and are good resources. These guys will usually do the interview. So one could surmise that an interview done by a senior officer might be of some advantage over an interview conducted by the NROTC coordinator, who is a Chief. I don't have any proof of that. An interview from the Commanding Officer though does seem to elevate the selection rate quite a bit at my local NRD. I have to say that an interview conducted by anyone, senior or not, that is not familiar with the process or what the Board is looking for will not be helpful, and in the extreme detrimental. I have many years experience with recruiting and in my retirement conduct many interviews for Navy Academy applicants. I don't think the NRD would be as eager to have some retired O-6 who knows nothing about the process interview one of their applicants, not know the key questions to ask, and score him inappropriately low. Exactly what circumstance are you contemplating?

Coach

Wink,

I just got more out of your one post then I have been able to research on line...thank you! This is a wealth of great information. There is no real circumstances regarding the application, it's been filled out, reviewed over and over since March and sent for review. My sons interview was with an active 06 commodore. Clearly after speaking to my son the 06 found out everything he wanted to know about my son. In the time he had him in his office it was like he knew him forever. As a father and ex Navy guy I'm just very excited for my son. The true circumstance no comes at getting him into the college he wants. He is going to study mechanical engineering. He has a well rounded resume like many of these other candidates so time will only tell at this point.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wink,

I just got more out of your one post then I have been able to research on line...thank you! This is a wealth of great information. There is no real circumstances regarding the application, it's been filled out, reviewed over and over since March and sent for review. My sons interview was with an active 06 commodore. Clearly after speaking to my son the 06 found out everything he wanted to know about my son. In the time he had him in his office it was like he knew him forever. As a father and ex Navy guy I'm just very excited for my son. The true circumstance no comes at getting him into the college he wants. He is going to study mechanical engineering. He has a well rounded resume like many of these other candidates so time will only tell at this point.
Well good luck. I am sure your boy will make you proud. Let us know how it comes out.