• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Intel Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Hey,

What's the gouge on intel life? Exciting? a lot of paperwork? lots of travel? no travel? its my second choice (aviation first), but i'm a politics major and my recruiter says that right now i have a better shot at intel. I've always, always wanted to fly, but i'm getting more and more used to the idea of intel. So is this gonne be a mostly behind the desk job, or am I way off. Please educate me.

JKD

I'm an enlisted IS2 in the Reserves.
here is a link you can use to look at some of the specifics on different communities:
http://www.staynavy.navy.mil/enlisted/content/Commissioning_Paths/default.asp

Intel is mainly office work, but there are a wide variety of places that office can be. There are also several different opportunities for different assignments within the Navy. Some are available just because of the clearance you will have. You can work with a large number of units. My understanding is, most first assignments are fleet squadrons.

As far as listing Intel first, I have no idea. I can relay what I've been told, which is that Intel and Crypto like to pick people who have them as a first choice. At the same time, the OIC at my recruiters told me that most communities understand that "everyone wants to fly", so listing them second may not be as bad as it may seem.
(however I was non-select for Intel when I applied with NFO first, Intel second. I have a package in right now for Intel only - NFO said I need not apply due to age :( )

psrogers

Intel Officer
I'm an ensign going through the Naval Intelligence Officer Basic Course.

Intel is clearly going to be almost all about office work. You might run a division if you are on a carrier or an ambhibious assault ship.

After OCS, you will go to NMITC for half a year. You will likely enjoy the experience. After that, you will be assigned to either ships company on an aircraft carrier or an amphib, be part of a staff of one of these ships, or be a squadron intel officer.

From what I understand we are all over the place. It's an interesting field if you can handle Powerpoint and don't mind briefing admirals and generals and the like. Typical second tour puts you in a Joint Intelligence Center (JIC).

USS_Triton

psrogers (or anyone)-

I've heard that graduates of Intel School get to pick their assignments based on their class rank. Do you know if this is true?

Status
Not open for further replies.