• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"The Gun" by C.J. Chivers: History of AK, historical info on AR/M-16, etc

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
New York Times war corespondent, and former Marine Corps officer C.J. Chivers has new book out called "The Gun".

He talks about the book - which covers the history of the AK, it's use in 'Stan and a quick comparison against the AR/M-16 platform... in an interview on NPR's Fresh Air.

Listen to it... post what you think (there's a link on the page to stream the audio)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130493013

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I like that NPR interviewed someone who knows a great deal about guns. Not something I would normally expect.

There was another book written about the influence of the AK-47 which I have read some passages. Seems like it would be a good book. http://www.amazon.com/AK-47-Weapon-...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287070723&sr=1-2

As to the interview, I am definitely interested in Chivers book. He certainly sounds as though he knows what he is talking about. Sounds as though he has investigated both the technical history of the gun and the cultural influence of the AK-47.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He has some pretty good contributions to the New York Times' At War blog including a couple of posts about what weapons are in Taliban 'gun lockers', here and here, and the recent performance of the M-16/M-4.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
He has some pretty good contributions to the New York Times' At War blog including a couple of posts about what weapons are in Taliban 'gun lockers', here and here, and the recent performance of the M-16/M-4.

That's a great article on the performance of the M16, Flash. Personally, I've carried an M16A2 and an M4A1 overseas, and I had absolutely 0 problems with reliability. Of course, I cleaned and serviced my rifle regularly, as you are supposed to do. I suspect that most of the infantry types do this as well. My complaints about the M16 have never had anything to do with performance, I'm just not a fan of the 20" barrel. Being a truck driver, and gun truck crew, the more compact M4 serves as an excellent weapon for inside of a vehicle. The added length of a fixed butt stock and 4" of barrel can be quite a pain when you need to get your rifle moving in a hurry.

As for the AK and it's use in Afghanistan...I can't comment to that, as I've only been to Iraq, twice. Surprisingly, I think I saw as many AKs as I saw other weapons, primarily SKS's and even the bolt action Mosins. If it still fired, it was being used. Either way, great NPR broadcast. Not often you find something firearms related being intelligently discussed on NPR.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whaaaaaa, Flash, have you 'crossed over'?????

No, not quite yet, just a fan of good reporting (CJ Chivers is pretty good), interested in what the enemy has in their 'gun locker' and what is the closest thing to the 'truth' about M16/M4 performance in the field.

And of course what real guy doesn't like guns? ;)

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Yeah I can't recall Flash ever saying he doesn't like guns... He just doesn't like citizens owning them...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah I can't recall Flash ever saying he doesn't like guns... He just doesn't like citizens owning them...

"Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party."

;)