• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"The Great Green Fleet"

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
“Roosevelt sent the Great White Fleet around the world without the money to get them home,” Mabus said. “But he was confident that Congress would want the fleet back, so he knew the money would come. And it did. No one has ever gotten anything big done by being timid.”

Not so sure this time around. It'd probably take 1300 pages of legalese, at least six bills that don't make it out of committee, and the lawyers and Chinese would own the fleet when it was all said and done.

SkywardET

Contrarian
“Roosevelt sent the Great White Fleet around the world without the money to get them home,” Mabus said. “But he was confident that Congress would want the fleet back, so he knew the money would come. And it did. No one has ever gotten anything big done by being timid.”

Not so sure this time around. It'd probably take 1300 pages of legalese, at least six bills that don't make it out of committee, and the lawyers and Chinese would own the fleet when it was all said and done.
You may be right, but any move that helps maintain our military's capabilities as we lose our control over access to oil is the correct strategic move. Having as few assets dependent on foreign sources of energy as possible will come in handy for the next major war.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Don't get me wrong, I think anything that drives our boats and doesn't line our enemies' pockets is a great step forward and using the Navy to front technology can be an awesome driving force for change, so long as it doesn't sacrifice readiness and reliability. Nuke boats were just a pipe dream, at one point. Too bad that Nuke cruisers and DDGs were/would be prohibitively expensive. I'm sure we'll figure something out, I'm just hoping that its more technologically advanced than scraping the mcdonalds deep fryer to run our jet engines.