• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Future

iyoyas

Hello,

I am a current NAPSter and also a prior AO3 from VFA-195. I am in my first academic month of NAPS and I am very excited about being here and getting an education, however, I am having a hard time adjusting to everything, especialy school. I did realy well in high school but I forgot quite a bit. Does anyone out there have any advice about getting through NAPS and the Academy.(especialy the academic side)

Thanks.

MataMorosCreo

pilot
The moment you feel that you're struggling, ask for help. I was reluctant to do that when I was at NAPS and almost didn't graduate. All the profs, both there and the academy, are willing to help if you put in the effort.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Study and have fun. Thats how I got through... Oh.. and I made friends with Jack, Jim, Jose, the Cap'n and a few others.

MrSaturn

Contributor
Ask for help early on if you need it, do not fall behind, try to do assignments in class and get plenty of sleep.

I found if I had a hard set time to go to sleep I wouldnt piss away all my time and stay up til 2 a.m. doing homework and then falling asleep in class.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Take advantage of the supplemental instructors over there. I'm not sure if Mr. Lawrence is still there, but he helped me ALOT when it came to Physics and Chemistry. Without him I have no idea how I would have made it through the program.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
To echo what everyone else has said, ask for help early. Even if you don't need it, go in for EI every chance you get. Even some of the guys with the best grades I saw in EI alot. The profs will generally recognize your effort level and the fact that you are beating down their hatch every chance you get will only help your case. The worst thing you can have happen for you is to go in front of an academic board and have your professors say they never saw you after class. Work hard in the first trimesters, because the last thing you want is to play catch up in the last trimester or two... trust me on that one. Put your head down and good luck.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Like several others have said, EI is the most important thing. First, it can help you learn the material better. Second, instructors will recognize your effort level and may be a little more lenient with your grade. Finally, advisory and academic boards look favorably on your level of effort when evaluating your situation. Going to EI is one of the best ways to document/demonstrate that effort level.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Like several others have said, EI is the most important thing. First, it can help you learn the material better. Second, instructors will recognize your effort level and may be a little more lenient with your grade. Finally, advisory and academic boards look favorably on your level of effort when evaluating your situation. Going to EI is one of the best ways to document/demonstrate that effort level.

I'll second this. While at NAPS, I spent 3-4 afternoons a week in EI for math and chem. Without it, I doubt I'd have graduated. At USNA, I didn't use it as much, but I still did.

There are alot of academic resources outside of the classroom at both schools... EI is the most used at NAPS. At USNA, they have a tutoring program, EI, MGSP (Midshipman Group Study Program), a resource center and always, always ask your upperclass to help (even if you are one of their "Project Plebes")

iyoyas

Thank you all for your advice, I passed my last chemistry and physics tests and have been doing better since I started going to EI even more and doing some time managment changes, things are still tough but I will make it. If there is any more advice out there please leave it on here, the rest of the battalion could use it.

Thank you all

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Thank you all for your advice, I passed my last chemistry and physics tests and have been doing better since I started going to EI even more and doing some time managment changes, things are still tough but I will make it. If there is any more advice out there please leave it on here, the rest of the battalion could use it.

Thank you all

Great job! Hope to see you in the class of 2012.