• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Call To Serve

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If you don't go to school, you'll get picked up for truancy. The state forces you to be there.

If you don't go to college, you'll flunk out. There is no comparable force being applied.

If you don't go to work, you'll get fired. There is no comparable force being applied.

Do you see how they are different?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Not every state arrests students who cut; New York certainly didn't. Plenty of students cut and the worst that happened were poor grades and possibly in-school suspension. Yet they somehow still managed to graduate.

To me, the "force applied" is absolutely comperable. There is a consequence for not attending any one of those things, and while it might be a different consequence, they are all negative and permanently damaging to one's long-term chances of success.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Instead, I am saying that a college degree doesn't automatically mean you are hard working, smart, and dedicated like some people think it does.

I would agree to a certain extent.

The reality is that those types of people who get good grades with bad study habits have either a easy major (which you said) or are just naturally bright and talented and aren't living up to their full potential. They are few and far between and not as prevalent as you would make them out to be.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you don't go to school, you'll get picked up for truancy. The state forces you to be there.

If you don't go to college, you'll flunk out. There is no comparable force being applied.

If you don't go to work, you'll get fired. There is no comparable force being applied.

Do you see how they are different?
If you meant this as a counter to Spekkio's point I don't see it. It rather looks like you are making his point. Be that as it may, just for argument, I am not aware of any state that "forces" a student to attend high school. Attendance is required, often only to 16 years old, but no state official will ensure a student attends school. No wake up calls, mandatory transport or guards at the doors. It is true that in college and the work force there is no comparable force to attend. In fact it is greater, because it is an economic incentive. Even if on scholarship in college, non attendance will result in grades bad enough to lose a scholarship. If paying for school a student has possible even more economic incentive than some employment situations.

squorch2

pilot
Okay, if you don't buy the state coercion argument, how about that your parents/guardian that you live with force you to go to high school, whereas there is no comparable thing for college.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, if you don't buy the state coercion argument, how about that your parents/guardian that you live with force you to go to high school, whereas there is no comparable thing for college.
For you and me sure. But for a significant minority that isn't true at all. I have a sister who is a guidance counselor and she will attest to it. Moreover, with just a little bit of law enforcement experience I can say I have seen many of parents who don't see to it their kids go to school.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
After I hit around sixth grade, my parents had nothing to do with my school attendance. I woke up after my dad had already gone to work and started walking to school before my mom got up for work. If I decided to go somewhere else, they wouldn't have known it until at least the end of the quarter when my report card came out. Only exception was really bad weather when they would agree to wake up and drive me.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought you could drop in your first two years with no repercussions? is that not true anymore?
Yes, but while there attendace is mandatory, which goes to squorch's point.

squorch2

pilot
No, it doesn't - being able to drop out is entirely the point. No one is making you be there.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, it doesn't - being able to drop out is entirely the point. No one is making you be there.
I am confused. You used the word coercion a few posts ago, saying that the state forces you to high school but not college. If you come back to a service academy for your 2nd class year you are under as much coercion as you can be short of threat of jail. Sure you can drop out, but at a great penalty, applied by the state. I don't know quite what you mean by corsion if that isn't. Not the state, or even the military truly forces you to attend any school. There are simply costs associated with dropping out. The cost of dropping out of a military academy after a certain point is considered very high for most people and very immediate. The cost of not completing high school is certainly high but not usually realized immediately.