• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Terrific History of Carrier Aviation ... Full Monty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistle Pig

:) Lemme try to put on the link for the full video ... "ANGLE of ATTACK"

It is really an exceptional video ... and you need 1:48 to watch it all.

btw, if you're interested in learning about one important piece of the USN aviation story ... read "The Millionaire's Unit." It's about how a bunch of elitist Yalies, itching to get into WW I via the air, started and funded their own aviation school and "sold it" to the Navy. A great read and lends lots of insight to the privileged elite of that time ... and how VASTLY different the silver-spooners of that day are from the pathetic bunch we see in Washington. Unlike BO and his boys, these young men saw it as a responsibility of their privileged upbringing to serve (in the REAL sense of that term) our nation.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
bunk22 just posted a thread a couple days ago with an excerpt from the film and it inspired me to watch the whole thing. Definitely worth the watch!

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
A great read and lends lots of insight to the privileged elite of that time ... and how VASTLY different the silver-spooners of that day are from the pathetic bunch we see in Washington. Unlike BO and his boys, these young men saw it as a responsibility of their privileged upbringing to serve (in the REAL sense of that term) our nation.

coulda done without the political editorializing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It lends context and perspective into your political bent. I think we can appreciate the historical content of the film without engaging in partisanship and bashing POTUS. Times were clearly different - it's not a partisan issue. Since most of us are apolitical commissioned officers, we appreciate that perspective.

Whistle Pig

Great! Altho I'm confident even you don't speak for "we." Don't agree? Don't read. Simple. You've obviously not read the book if you perceive things were not partisan way back when. Give it a go! Still I wonder how in the world you would have any clue about what "most of us" are and what "we appreciate." Thanks for sharing, but I much prefer speaking for myself and my pov. You're entitled to your opionion for sure. Seems like quite a stretch suggesting you're opinion speaks for any others beyond yourself. I'm confident commissioned officers can readily think and speak for themselves.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
.... a bunch of elitist Yalies...responsibility of their privileged upbringing to serve (in the REAL sense of that term) our nation.

Yeah, as an Eli (not a Yalie) I think I take offense to being lumped in with others as elitist.

Further, Yale students to this day are doing what they can to serve (in the real sense of that term). If they weren't, the NROTC unit there never would have been resurrected after 40 years.

That video was pretty nifty. Thank you for posting it.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Awesome video. Thanks for posting. As for the political bent in your comments, I must have missed it.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PenguinGal said:
Yeah, as an Eli (not a Yalie) I think I take offense to being lumped in with others as elitist.
I don't think he said anything about you. I certainly didn't read it that way.

PenguinGal said:
Further, Yale students to this day are doing what they can to serve (in the real sense of that term). If they weren't, the NROTC unit there never would have been resurrected after 40 years.
He didn't say they aren't. You might want to re-read his comments. I think you took it a bit out of context and personally I might add. Then again, maybe I'm misreading your comments.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
It lends context and perspective into your political bent. I think we can appreciate the historical content of the film without engaging in partisanship and bashing POTUS. Times were clearly different - it's not a partisan issue. Since most of us are apolitical commissioned officers, we appreciate that perspective.

So apolitical that none of us have any clue what side of the fence you're on. Give him a break.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I didn't realize being an Officer meant I had to be apolitical. I know I must not try to sway my subordinates at work, and cannot try to subvert my superiors, and can't appear in uniform at an event. But I am still allowed to have an opinion on the actions of the members of my fellow Americans and our elected leader. I'm still allowed to vote, and allowed to have, and share, my respectful opinion of the current, past, and possible future administrations. As long as we don't presume to speak for the service in which we are members, we are allowed to have and share our PERSONAL opinion. I think this Article 88, some dumbass reporter may scan FB/AW/IWAGR and, God forbid, attribute the feelings of one person as representative of the collective, OMG Romo's Bitch overreaction needs to stop.

We are all adults, we all have opinions, some even negative about our POTUS, our commanders, or our shipmates, and sharing them is not taboo.

If the Emperor must be told he is clothed to stay happy and can't realize his own accoutrement status, he needs a new job.

Pickle

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
If you are posting on a website where your profile identifies yourself as a Naval Officer (and for the record the OP's profile does NOT list being a commissioned officer or member of the military) the opening criticizing the President would, IMO, be wrong.

If you don't identify yourself as a member of the military, then by all means employ your First Amendment rights!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What Lumpy said. I recommend you do some reading on some of our most respected historical military leaders, then tell me how partisan they all were. You're a Naval Officer 24/7/365. In private, blast POTUS and your leadership all you want. In here, it's public.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I think there is a difference between saying "I don't like how POTUS is running the US and he is not my favorite President" and "I don't like how POTUS is running the country so I won't follow his orders."

The latter is what gets people in trouble, the former is an opinion. I don't have a problem with the former, the latter I do.

Pickle

Status
Not open for further replies.