• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tech majors

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have not seen anything to indicate a trend to that, do you have something to back that up are are you just speculating?
Mostly pure speculation on my part. And that is based on reports from midshipmen as well as NROTC class advisers regarding big Navy's emphasis on mids getting tech degrees. I'm simply making the leap from what is occurring now at the pre-commissioning phase of one's career to several years down the road where it is possible that having that "check in the box" may looked highly upon.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mostly pure speculation on my part. And that is based on reports from midshipmen as well as NROTC class advisers regarding big Navy's emphasis on mids getting tech degrees. I'm simply making the leap from what is occurring now at the pre-commissioning phase of one's career to several years down the road where it is possible that having that "check in the box" may looked highly upon.

I have heard that spiel for a long time but I seriously doubt that it would ever be taken into much account for regular promotion boards. I don't see how your major could be weighted against your performance.

You want to talk about education factoring into promotion, better start learning a foreign language.......a much more useful skill in todays warfare than whether or not x + y = b

Read 1.S. on the first link.......

http://www.defense.gov/news/Mar2005/d20050330roadmap.pdf

http://www.ausa.org/webpub/DeptHome.nsf/byid/SSHE-6M3S54

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have heard that spiel for a long time but I seriously doubt that it would ever be taken into much account for regular promotion boards. I don't see how your major could be weighted against your performance.
You mean like, whether you have a masters degree or not.....or whether you have the JPME box checked. Yea, things that don't have shit to do with your performance.

And I'm not really talking about promotion boards as much as I am about screening for XO and CO.

P3 F0

None
As far as I am concerned, the only reason to take on a technical major is if you are interested in a technical subject. Technical majors are hard. The Navy will not give you a higher rank just because you are an engineer, and they won't give you special treatment either. As far as the training is concerned...either you can handle the material or you can't, and I doubt 4 years of engineering / science / math courses will help you if you can't understand the ideal gas law,
It will give you a better APC score, which (as far as I know) sits in a dark corner of your ODC. I seem to recall some programs at NPS require a minimum APC score (although it's probably waiverable), and my guess is that NPS and/or War College are the only folks who look at it (I'm guessing it also factors into the Test Pilot package). I'm not sure how the score is viewed, but it's a 3-digit # where the first # reflects your overall gpa, the second # reflects how much math you've had, and the third reflects your Technical Qual Code (technical curricula stuff).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You mean like, whether you have a masters degree or not.....or whether you have the JPME box checked. Yea, things that don't have shit to do with your performance.

And I'm not really talking about promotion boards as much as I am about screening for XO and CO.

Completely different animals, JPME is a requirement and a Masters shows extra initiative and motivation. Both traits are something boards like from what I have heard. What does a technical degree show?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Completely different animals, JPME is a requirement and a Masters shows extra initiative and motivation. Both traits are something boards like from what I have heard. What does a technical degree show?
You just made my point for me. Neither the JPME requirement nor the masters degree has jack shit to do with your performance, but yet somehow they are taken into account in the boards. I understand your point on getting the extra kudos for initiative by getting a masters. But the same can be said about getting a technical degree as well.

We're arguing about little details here. The point of all this is that big Navy does take into account other things besides performance on the boards. It is what it is and it does change from time to time. Again, the boards taking into consideration whether someone has a technical degree or not would not surprise me a bit. It doesn't make it right, fair, equal opportunity or whatever you want to call it these days. But that doesn't mean it won't happen.

The navy does some pretty silly things sometimes and that you cannot deny.