• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TC-12 FTI clarification

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
The TC-12 FTI has gotten a little convoluted on Case 2 failures (crosswind turn). If there is a power loss, we roll wings level for the power up, rudder up, and clean up, then roll back into the turn and shut the engine down. If we get a light requiring a shutdown, we power up, rudder up, and clean up while still in the turn, and roll out to fuel chop and feather, then roll back into the turn for the firewall valve and fire bottle (as req'd).

The rationale behind this is that any time we have a power loss, intentional or unintentional, we roll wings level to improve aircraft control. I understand that completely. What I'm not clear on is whether or not "clean up" includes getting the flaps up as well (obviously gear is coming up). Most of the instructors I've flown with want me to get the flaps up; a few have said it's okay to leave them down.

What are your thoughts on this? It seems like the FTI is written fairly loosely here, yet it's something the instructors are very interested in nitpicking and beating to death (the sim instructors love to bellyache about this very point). Here's what I'm thinking: stall speeds are lower with flaps at approach at a fairly small price in drag, so if approach flaps are selected prior to the power loss, we're actually providing a greater margin of safety than if we bring them up. On the flip side, we don't even have a SE climb chart with flaps at approach, indicating they want us climbing with flaps up, and Case 1s require us to get the flaps up before shutting down the failed engine.

Any and all ideas are welcomed; I'd like to hear what you think.