• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS SWIM QUAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsin

Can anyone tell me what the swim requirements are at tbs for nfo ? Will we have to be swimming in the cold? I'm planning on occ 183 june, so i figure tbs will come in the winter.

Semper Fi

kimphil

I think I saw it on the TBS web site, its fairly easy I believe. If you are interested in aviation (which is why I assume you are since you are posting on this board) I would focus my concern on the swim qualification at API. However, if you might be doing ground, which from one of your other posts I reckon is possible, you shouldn't concern yourself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by kimphil
I think I saw it on the TBS web site, its fairly easy I believe.

Reserve judgement until you've completed a qual.

If you are interested in aviation (which is why I assume you are since you are posting on this board) I would focus my concern on the swim qualification at API.

NEGATIVE! All SNA/NFO's MUST have a CWS-1 (first class swim qual) before leaving TBS.

However, if you might be doing ground, which from one of your other posts I reckon is possible, you shouldn't concern yourself.

BIG NEGATIVE!! All, I repeat, ALL officers must have a CWS-2 before leaving TBS. Some "ground" officers require a CWS-1 like: AAV, LAR, and Grunt Officers that want to be a part of Boat or Track companies.

Davidsin, I hope this better answers your questions. All student officers will start out at CWS-4 and work their way up, unless you have recently qualed and have paperwork to back it up. The pool is covered and heated, well, kinda heated. You will swim qual in the first couple of weeks at TBS. The 4, 3, and 2 are somewhat easy if you've swam before. 1 is tough for everyone. 1 weeded out the majority of our company, and they are spending nights doing remedial swimming. If you want to go higher, you can try WSQ (water safety qualified). There is actually one higher than that, but you won't need to worry about that unless you are a life-guard or swim instructor, I think it is CWSS (certified water safety swimmer).

Kimphil, a little research goes a long way.

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If I can add to that to E5's statement. You will not leave TBS CWS-1. Your TBS class will continue and graduate but you will not until you are swimm qualed. A good friend of mine from TBS, Maj Mike Kudsin (God rest his soul), F-18 pilot was a rock in the water. When we graduated in June he was still in remedial swim until September until he qualified. API was hell for him and literally spent 1 year in remedial swim until he qualified. He persevered and was still able to fly F-18's. It took guts, heart, raw determination and desire to earn his wings. The Navy/ Marine Corps belief is that they can teach you to swim but its up to you to show the motivation. I don't think I could have endured what Kuddy did. Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

davidsin

Thanks for the gouge gentlemen. However, I'm still not clear.

So how many consecutive laps do I have to be able to swim in order to get winged? How much time do I have to do it? What does CWS-1 stand for, and what does it take to pass it?
snorkel_125.gif

One more question...how long is trainning for NFO, and what is the major difference between NFO and aviator training besides having to sit in the back seat?

Semper Fi

Rainman

pilot
CWS . . I think
Combat Water Swim(er?) - First Class
Alright so I don't remember. It's not really that much "swimming" per se. .but the underwater swimming and "oil splashing" is an a$$kicker. A very low percentage don't pass before TBS graduation.

As far as laps. . .. @ API you do a mile swim in flight suit and have 80 minutes to complete it. A very low percentage don't pass on schedule.

The instruction is excellent and the events aren't designed to attrite you. Give it your all; go to swim remedial if necessary and bust it out.

Semper Fi

Crowbar

None
Rather than do a ludicrously long post (which I almost did), I'll just tell the curious to search (insert search engine of your choice) for "MCO 1500.52B". That is the Marine Corps Order on Combat Water Survival Training. It talks in great detail about what level of qualification is required for different MOS's. It also describes in great detail what is involved with each level of qualification.

I've always thought that making it to CWS-2 was the hardest because you have to do the tows and make the "raft" and pull your buddy around. Once you get 2, moving up to "1" and then on to "Q" is easy. The flight training qualification ain't that easy. But just for basic purposes of being a Marine, if you are comfortable in the water, swim qual is fun. If you are not comfortable and don't think you are a good swimmer, start practicing. If you ARE comfortable and think you are a good swimmer, start practicing swimming with boots on.

Part of the problem with TBS is that you are in the ever popular "Training environment". I made CWS2 in boot camp, and once I got to the fleet, went back for CWSQ. Much easier when there are only 2 people going for Q, rather than an entire company of students. Sounds dumb, but when I made CWSQ I thought it was pretty easy. We'll see what happens in Pensacola, though...

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Here's a link to the document crowbar referred to:
http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/9d816d546727ed748525651700581631/3cb47c4fc5967c9985256aa800524b3d/$FILE/MCO%201500.52B%20W%20CH%201.pdf

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

davidsin

thanks a lot men

Because the foolishness of God is wiser then men, and the weakness of God is stronger then men.

1 Corithians 1:25

Status
Not open for further replies.