• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS Packing list

Lonestar155

is good to go
Q
uantity Item
3 3 inch binders (Balck or White Only)
1 1 inch binder (Black or White Only)
1 Computer
1 Printer
1 Good Military Map Protractor
2 Good Mapping Pens
2 Camo Paint
2 Waterproof Notepads
optional Binoculars / Monocular for use on the rifle range
4 Sets Woodland Digital Cammies*
2 Sets Desert Digital Cammies*
Cold Weather PT gear Green Sweats w/ Back EGA
Warm Weather PT gear Green Shorts & Green t-shirt
* Green / Tan Nametapes and Rank properly positioned on cammies

Ladies and gents.
I'll be heading out to the C Co. in a little less then a month and a the moment I am just putting together necessities for TBS. Above is a packing list that I found from the chicagomarineofficer page, but as I can tell this gear is probably the minimum of what is needed :confused:. Anything out there that you would highly recommend; entertainment, appliances, equipment, knowledge etc... The more, the better. I appreciate anything that you may suggest.

81montedriver

pilot
I remember going off of the same list and it worked out well. Several more items you will want to bring:

1. Parachute chord
2. Duct tape
3. Lots and lots of movies. You will spend more hours than you know waiting for the word.

I'll post again later if I think of anything. Good luck!

jdnew

A lot of stuff you won't really need till you start going to the field. And you will have plenty of time to figure out what you need to pick up, 550 chord, cammie paint, GPS (after FEX II) etc. First bit (other than the range) is mostly classes and waiting for word. Avoid bringing a lot of crap, cuz there's not that much room. You won't be able to coordinate with your roommates till you get there, but once you get settled in, you guys can decide who gets what as far as microwave, tv, etc
Oh, unless things have changed, you will need name tapes to mark all of your gear. You will have to wait till its issued to you before you can get it sewed on, But it might save a little bit of time if you get your tapes early. Just you last name, we had ours on olive colored name tapes, but I heard someone say that now they are doing it in digi print.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
You can buy all of that stuff in Quantico. Just bring the normal stuff you need in your civilian life - Laptop, movies, clothes, etc...

Oh, and Rock Band helped pass the time while you're sitting in your room for 3 hours waiting to be secured for the day. I'd consider picking that up.

Have fun!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Don't forget your Bottle of Johnny Walker, leather belt, straight razor and some lava soap for your shower.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Don't waste a lot of money on binos.
Have 4 set of deserts also.
more than 2 map pens. Best to get the skinniest ones you can find. I don't remember which one is finer, S or F. Either will work out for you.
Bring whatever comfy blanket you want; there is no love to be felt in a green wool blanket.
3 sets of boots.

This is an ok list for the very beginning until your company gives its SOPs and you learn what the latest "can't live without" stuff is. I'd say the best advice I could give for gear before showing up is that if you're a fastidious budgeter, then budget about $75 per month for random shit on top of whatever your company dues turn out being (yup, dues every month. Ours was $40). You can't even imagine what you're going to want to buy or where you'll go to buy it (anyone up for a run to the Scholar Ship?).

yodaears

pilot
A car. Most important thing to have at TBS to get you the hell away from that place on weekends and evenings after you secure.

flybw

Alpha Mike Foxtrot
pilot
Contributor
Concur. Other than the normal stuff you use day to day, don't worry about it too much. You'll have to tailor what you need to your specific company and the climate. I spent a lot of money on cold weather gear. Helped when it was 15 degrees out side. Also, in our company we couldn't use GPS so don't waste your money. Go to Adams Morgan up in DC as often as possible and drink heavily. The time will pass faster that way.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I wouldn't buy a damn thing until I got up there. The rooms are small and packed, and every Company is different. As said before, bring normal civilian stuff and a car. You can go out and buy whatever you need in Q-town. Save your money and your time. Don't forget that you're going to be surrounded by 300+ dudes that don't know shit either. Safety in numbers.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Go to Adams Morgan up in DC as often as possible and drink heavily. The time will pass faster that way.

This. Spend as many weekends in Georgetown and Adams Morgan as possible.

Also, don't lose your rifle key in the streets outside a bar when your buddy is getting belligerent and you're trying to calm him.

MettGT

pilot
I'd also throw Old Town Alexandria into the ring for places to drink away your sorrows.

sanders

Don't buy binoculars. You won't feel like carrying them around all day when you go to the range for 2 weeks. And you already have it on your list... but a printer is a MUST. I guarantee there will be at least one douche in your room who does not bring a printer, and will have to borrow your printer a million times a day. So buy extra ink.