• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TBS in Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

highball

I will be reporting to Tbs Nov 26 and had heard that we might get a break for christmass. I was wondering if they charge you leave for this. I will have barely 2.5 days and would rather stay if it will put me in the hole. Also any comments on how quantico compares in the winter monthes to summer training would be appreciated.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I graduated Alpha Co. in June (your company). We got "basket leave." They didn't charge us any leave for the break. I think they made everyone fill out leave papers (that were going out of bounds) but tore them up and threw them away when everyone returned. It was like 2 or 3 weeks of leave. Pretty nice. It's cold as hell. You'll go to the rifle range like the 1st or 2nd week back from X-mas vacation. Very early mornings, late evenings, freezing, and very sore! As an officer, you can take advance leave (leave before it's actually earned). You just pay it back as you go along. ..........You'll be cold a lot. But, it'll start warming up towards the end. By the time you get to the really hot days, it's almost graduation. You'll get rained on a lot too. I think it rained on us at least once, EVERY TIME we went to the field.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Word from Mike Co is Dec 20th - 6 Jan Basket leave.

and a 96 day after we check in.

We're supposed to have a pretty cold winter, occording to the news.

Ought to make for some outstanding training.

WHO NEEDS BRIDGEPORT!!??!!

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

JF

I put alos put this in the OCS section, but it seems applicable to a degree here.
Anyone been through an OCS winter class? Any tips on dealing with the cold? Are you allowed to bring civilian undergraments like "under armour" or the lycra stuff that keeps you warm and wicks away sweat? Also there are a bunch of vaccines out there like the "flu shot" and "pneumonia shot". Do they give them out at Quantico or should you get it done before you leave? Any thoughts apreciated.

Rainman

pilot
Not sure about winter OCS, but TBS were issued polypro undergarments and you can wear whatever civilian stuff you want under your uniform as long as it's green, black, or brown (at least with our company). The polypro did a good job wicking. Seems to me we got the flu shot; don't remember for sure.

Phil Koreis

Advise you get over it already. Focus on becoming a leader and forget the little bit of discomfort. Your adversary will be counting that an opponent will become weak and ineffective in harsh weather. Take advantage of the inclement weather, learn to use it to your advantage.

PKoreis

Rainman

pilot
Phil! Curious. .. do you advise against candidates/lieutenants finding out as much info as they can before a block of training? I didn't notice anyone 'whining' about weather. .just trying to get/be prepared.

Semper Fi

airwinger

pilot
As a sun loving Florida lad, I had the joy of doing OCS(and boot camp too) in the winter. It sucks, but I suspect TBS would be worse if say you had to do O/D week. They take good care of the candidates at OCS, and I pretty much wore civilian(but black) gloves and quite honestly my hands were the only parts that ever froze. You'll have polypro, sweatshirts,tshirts, cammie blouse and gortex and will not really freeze. You could put on just about anything civilian under your cammies, the only rule is if they decide they don't like you you will be writing lots of essays at night if they catch you.
Now "Frozen" Fox company over at TBS, I hear that they have a certain %age that has to come down with frostbite/hypothermia before they are allowed to come in. If you have a choice go to "Charbroiled" Charlie company, nary a cold day, but we had 34 black flag days(and training don't stop)
airwinger

topher1235

Rainman- I don't believe that Phil was advising against gaining information. Rather it seemed that Phil was trying to focus the concern away from that which the candidate/lieutenant can't control (weather), to that which can be controlled. Such as using ones surroundings to their advantage.

It seems at times, that those on this board are often too quick to jump and diminish the advice given from those that speak from their personal experience.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by airwinger

Now "Frozen" Fox company over at TBS, I hear that they have a certain %age that has to come down with frostbite/hypothermia before they are allowed to come in.

It is not called Fox Company, but Fox Squadron. Due to the %70 or so Air Contracts.

WOW!!

"You forgot your fortune cookie"

Dirty Harry

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
the best advice i can give about training at tbs in the winter is.. if you have any doubt about packing something, pack it. (unless you're land nav'ing or something where you are constantly on the move without doing the standby trick, which is not typically the case). take all the layers. t-shirts. polypro. parka liner. gortex. thick and thin gloves. face wrap. sure you'll be carrying a bit of extra weight, but you'll get used to it. you never get used to numbness and shivering. WHATEVER YOU DO, do not try to lighten your load when you go to the field by not taking your full complement of sleeping bags. i don't care what the student staff tells you, make sure you have both your bags!! you will have time to get some sleep, and unless you're a fat body, you will freeze your ass if you don't bring your $hit.

and phil koreis.. sure tbs is about getting some good training. but try getting some peers or your spc/ai up out of their bags in the middle of a cold ass night to go attack the centralians.. you have to be a little realistic when you're there and just try to learn as much as you can. let the girls going to ioc and arty school worry about the particles of the enemy mindset at varying temperatures and dewpoints.

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by topher1235
Rainman- I don't believe that Phil was advising against gaining information. Rather it seemed that Phil was trying to focus the concern away from that which the candidate/lieutenant can't control (weather), to that which can be controlled. Such as using ones surroundings to their advantage.

Noted. I didn't read people having a concern about the weather; just some seeking/giving advice as to what to bring / buy / use.

It seems at times, that those on this board are often too quick to jump and diminish the advice given from those that speak from their personal experience.
MY POINT EXACTLY!

Phil Koreis

Ok,Gents and Ladies. A point of reference. My trail is TBS'75, no PolyPro, just straight cotton sweats, watch caps and wool glove liners. Sleeping bags were used the previous nite by another member of TBS Company thrown in a six-by and drenched by the cloud burst. Bottom line forget about comfort. If you want climate control join the Air Force. You will be the best equipped force on the field of battle, you will be equipped to KILL and for sure when you reach your assigned objective you want all of YOUR MARINES ALIVE. Comfort is nice but what you will be asked to do will be more than orienteering! Accept the SPARTAN FOCUS. In the Fleet YOU WILL BE THE EXAMPLE. Be ready to accomplish your mission! Most certainly YOU MUST BE THE ROCK OF YOUR UNIT!! Wish I could be where you are going to go! Semper Fi!

PKoreis

Status
Not open for further replies.