• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tax Filing for Mlitary Members

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
Disclaimer - I've not used thess services, but it is pertinent to the forum.

Also ,Tax Slayer has been offering free returns to military for a while now. You just plug in your EIN to see if your are eligible. They keep your past returns online, offer electronic filing. www.taxslayer.com

You can get your taxes done on base at the Tax Center, but reports have been hit and miss with those. Often, they are done by people (sometimes services members) getting business degrees, so they get experiencek in lots of tax returns as well as offering a public service.

Rugger

Military OneSource Offers Free Online Tax Filing
By Gerry J. Gilmore
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Feb. 2, 2007 – The Defense Department's Military OneSource family support program is once again offering free, online tax preparation and filing for servicemembers and their families, officials said.
The service began Jan. 15. It's available to active duty servicemembers, National Guardsmen and reservists and their families.

This is the second year of the program. Last year, more than 327,000 tax claims were filed using a similar program, said Jane Burke, principal director in the Office of the Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Military Community and Family Policy.

<snip>
More at link: http://www.defenselink.mil/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=2904
or http://www.militaryonesource.com

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Turbo Tax does free filing for military as well.

I've used Turbo Tax for the past three years to make the rental property forms (depreciation and what not) easier, although you have to get the premium version for that. Well worth the cost, IMO.

Brett

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I couldn't get Turbo-Tax to do it this year. It used to be done through Military One Source, but this year they switched to H&R Block's online stuff. I filed through them and didn't have any snags.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have used turbo tax since 1997 and I love it. Worth paying for it every year so I can keep the file like Gaordev does. I has come in handy more than once to have ready electronic access to that old info. If you download the software from the website and then delete it, you will be able to download it again for free for up to 3 years.