• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TAO, A. Strike O, or A. Air Ops

Duhgreat

Any advice on which is best? I’ll show my ass a little bit and say I was never near a boat, so I have no clue what any of them do? Any tips as far as which one is good for career, quality of life, etc? Thanks!

Short

None
Depends mostly on the boat and your boss. A strike will work PB4T, green sheet and air plans. Asst. Air Ops hot sheets and watch on any day, really dead pierside, TAO watch rotation based on numbers, only tactically oriented job. None of the jobs are crushing.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
"It depends" What are your career aspirations? I'm doing my disassociated now but I'm on a staff in 5th Fleet. No boat.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Choose TAO and you could go on internet forums to remind people with alarming regularity how YOU fight the ship and the captain trusts YOU with the lives of the crew. Plus you get an opportunity to shine quite frequently, examples: every time you announce River City, or mistakenly call away alerts at 0430.
:)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recovering LSO said:
Plus you get an opportunity to shine quite frequently, examples: every time you announce River City, or mistakenly call away alerts at 0430.
:)
“Missile inbound, starboard side, all hands brace for shock!”

(5 seconds later)

“BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!”

Such realistic training . . .

Last edited:

BigRed389

None
So....always wondered. What does a CVN TAO actually do? I mean I guess you shoot off ESSM and RAM in a pinch, but what are they actually expected to do in running either Strike Group ops or Air ops when there’s an army of CSG and Air Wing staff guys onboard?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
They set the A30 fighters then 15 seconds later launch the A30 fighters, c'mon now.
Amazing coincidence! The tin can TAOs went to the same course:

Air det! Set alert 30! (Several minutes later) alert 30 set.

Set alert 15! (Then, a minute later) launch the alert 15 helicopter!

Uh, you do realize we haven't even pulled it out of the barn.

(Incredulous) But ermahgerd! Alert 15! When can you be in the air??

From right now, about 29 minutes.

Wut?!?!?!?!

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
So....always wondered. What does a CVN TAO actually do? I mean I guess you shoot off ESSM and RAM in a pinch, but what are they actually expected to do in running either Strike Group ops or Air ops when there’s an army of CSG and Air Wing staff guys onboard?
Answer phones.
Answer chat.
Wrangle OSs.
Manage links (kinda).
Tell people when equipment breaks.
Tell people where you’ve been told to point VI equipment.