• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tall Pilots in T-45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Hello,
I was speaking to a doctor at the aircrew medical selection of the Canadian Forces. She said that they are having problems with tall pilots who are unable to touch the rudder pedals in the CT-155 Hawk (BAe Hawk 115). Has the U.S Navy experienced problems like this in the T-45 Goshawk pipline? If so, do you know what the height and leg length restrictions are for the Goshawk? I'm a tall guy and I have always wanted to fly the CF-18, but I need to fly the Hawk first. Any info would be great!

Thank you
Barry

flyin canuck

Barry,

I'm also a tall guy (6'2) looking to go through the NFTC jet pipeline, and on to the CF-18. I've heard talk about problems with tall pilots and the Hawk. Specifically i have heard that the knee-to-butt anthro mesurement is relatively short for pilots in the Hawk. If you find out anything, be sure to let me know.

Matt, you went Goshawk to Hornet, right? What's your experience with regards to this topic?

Colin

Jack

There is a guy here who is 6'5" 240lbs. He is a very large man! He has a few issues as far as seeing different stanby guagues but he can read the two MFDs just fine. I'm sure he has had to sign waivers for it, however the point is that he's doing it. Hope that answered some questions.

Jack
VT-7
NAS Meridian

jec

Barry

Thanks a lot for all your help. I take it that the USN Buttock Knee length of 28 inches allows you to fly all aircraft. In Canada the maximum length is 673 mm(26.5inches) which might be a problem for me. But if it isn't, can you get the same type of waiver in the Canadian Air Force?

Barry

flyin canuck

Barry,

Do you know if the 26.5 inch measurement allows you to fly any type in the CAF?

I'll might be able to get some info on waivers this weekend.

Colin

Jack

Jeff - You are familiar with him? He, like I said, has waivers galore to fly the T-45 but he's doing it and doing well.

jec

Jeff29

Science Project
If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he was in the Indoc class for which I was the Indoc Commander. He had been rolled because of his weight (not because he was fat, just huge -- I think he actually played semi-pro football). The reason was that ejection seats are not built to take over 250lbs. Anyway they let him into the class I was working with and stipulated that he had to cut down to 240lbs.

I'm not surprised he got jets. The guy knew what he wanted and knew his stuff. I remember on one occassion we were in the building where they train the air crew and there is an F-16 in one of the rooms. As each of the API-bound poopies passed the room, I asked them what kind of plane they saw (you could only see the nose and part of the cockpit). Not one of them could tell me until this guy comes along, "sir, that is an F-16 Fighting Falcon!". "What do you think about the F-16, Jones". "Sir, ....... (I then got a five minute disertation on everything you could possibly want to know about the F-16, it was hilarious)". "Jones, I just wanted to know if you thought it was a cool plane".

He probably doesn't remember the incident, or remember me for that matter. He, on the other hand, is harder to forget.

Hope this is the same guy. Otherwise I just wasted five minutes telling a story that you could care less about.

Take it easy,

--Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.