• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

TAD Opportunity @ NAS Oceana

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
Hello all,

Recent SNA selectee and soon to be graduate of NROTC out of Philadelphia. Received an email regarding an opportunity for no-cost TAD in VA Beach with one of the Strike squadrons. Just wondering if anyone had this experience as an Ensign and can comment on it, or if anyone else is considering the opportunity. Thanks!

Meyerkord

pilot
Hello all,

Recent SNA selectee and soon to be graduate of NROTC out of Philadelphia. Received an email regarding an opportunity for no-cost TAD in VA Beach with one of the Strike squadrons. Just wondering if anyone had this experience as an Ensign and can comment on it, or if anyone else is considering the opportunity. Thanks!
Had a few people from my class get stashed over the summer. They didn't seem to mind it. We got some selfies from the back seat of a jet, which was pretty cool.

Some people's OHARP experience sucked - had to drive a ton and actually go to an office to work. Some (including myself) got to do basically nothing for 3 months and hang out at home, which was super nice.

YMMV. I'd say do it if you're interested in getting some Navy "experience" vice sitting at home.

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
On my shore tour we used to joke that we needed a bunch of stashes to do all the Charlie work like stand SDO, flight plan, write skeds, etc, that the 2Ps would do in a fleet squadron.
Is this the worst thing to be doing before heading into IFS though? I was lucky enough to get some experience with all of that and some other ground jobs when I was with a squadron on cruise last year. I get that its stash work but I could probably use the experience. Thanks for the reply!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Is this the worst thing to be doing before heading into IFS though? I was lucky enough to get some experience with all of that and some other ground jobs when I was with a squadron on cruise last year. I get that its stash work but I could probably use the experience. Thanks for the reply!
Not at all. I had 8 months in a-pool and it drive me bonkers. After a few months I was begging for a stash job to keep me busy during the day. Turns out ENS pay isn't enough for a life of leisure and doing nothing gets depressing pretty fast. So when I was in C pool between VTs and HTs and they asked for volunteers to go TAD to Oceana to help out with the CORTRAMID T-34* Det I jumped at the chance. A month or so in VA Beach in the summer was a good time. When I was there VF-213 threw their Blacklion Bash at the Club and the Dave Matthews Band came to town. Some of my SWO buds and guys in fleet squadrons from school were around so there was plenty to see and do.

*These items make this post (and therefore me) seem really dated. Well, off to wear black socks with tevas. ?

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
Not at all. I had 8 months in a-pool and it drive me bonkers. After a few months I was begging for a stash job to keep me busy during the day. Turns out ENS pay isn't enough for a life of leisure and doing nothing gets depressing pretty fast. So when I was in C pool between VTs and HTs and they asked for volunteers to go TAD to Oceana to help out with the CORTRAMID T-34* Det I jumped at the chance. A month or so in VA Beach in the summer was a good time. When I was there VF-213 threw their Blacklion Bash at the Club and the Dave Matthews Band came to town. Some of my SWO buds and guys in fleet squadrons from school were around so there was plenty to see and do.

*These items make this post (and therefore me) seem really dated. Well, off to wear black socks with tevas. ?
Haha, appreciate all the extra info and experiences. I think I'll do it. The CAPT guaranteed some T-34 rides and can ALMOST guarantee an FA-18 ride, other than that no info. I'll roll the dice I guess.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Be humble about getting a ride in the jet and have a blast if you do get to go. There are a couple hundred guys working downstairs who would love to get a ride and who also put a lot of sweat and pride into getting those airplanes into the air- including if it's you riding in it.

Meyerkord

pilot
I had 8 months in a-pool and it drive me bonkers. After a few months I was begging for a stash job to keep me busy during the day. Turns out ENS pay isn't enough for a life of leisure and doing nothing gets depressing pretty fast
Yep, that was exactly my situation as well. End up stashed over at the museum working in the woodshop. I'd take a TAD in a heartbeat if I could.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
Be humble about getting a ride in the jet and have a blast if you do get to go. There are a couple hundred guys working downstairs who would love to get a ride and who also put a lot of sweat and pride into getting those airplanes into the air- including if it's you riding in it.

And clean up your puke. ?