• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6 Texan vs. T-34C Turbo Mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMan

I was wondering if anyone has personally flown the T-6 AND the T-34C? If not, has anyone heard about comparisons of the two in terms of performance, speed, handling and landing,....etc. Which one is easier to fly?

I'm applying to go to OCS next summer, if I'm lucky enough to get a pilot slot, by the time I get to P'cola, I might be flying the T-6. Thanks.

DMan

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just some gouge I heard from an Air Force instructor...
The Texan can do a 3G loop at 80% power [the T-34 requires full power (Natops limited) and a shallow dive to achieve 200 kts]

The Texan reaches its max gear extension airspeed by the end of the runway (T-34 has a shorter t/o roll)

Patty Wagstaff can go straight from wheels up into an aileron roll in the Texan (Patty Wagstaff isn't stupid.)

Apparently the Texan can hang on its prop.

By the way... it should be several years before student pilots see the T-6 on a naval base.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The Navy will probably see the Texan once the AF works the bugs out (crashing). The Navy sold its soul to the T-45 that it just could not fund the Texan (eventhough it was a Navy contract and the AF didn't want it in the first place). Maybe you will see it as an IP which is the better place to be when flying a new model aircraft. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The T-6 is a rather advanced airframe: ejection seats, elevated rear cockpit so the IP can see you BS him, pressurized and has an OBOGS system on board. Impressive. I think your right Matt, what would flight school be like with out taking your extra seat cushion out to the aircraft or worse yet, a great air conditioning system. There is just no challenge. They won't be making pilots like they used to, eh Matt. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:elevated rear cockpit so the IP can see you BS him

LOL! You mean no more crib notes on your knee board?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's the deal with the prop governor? The T-34 has one, but perhaps it's the throttle the T-6 has that is much different. The T-34 has an Emergency Power Lever (EPL) located next to the Power Control Lever (PCL) so that you can still have power in a rollback and be able to execute a Precautionary Emergency Landing (PEL) setting yourself up beautifully for the Emergency Landing Pattern (ELP). EPL, PCL, PEL ELP... what the #@%$%^@?

Ed Williams

Who can complain when talking about a plane with a better ac unit. You have to love walking out to youe trusty t-34 at sunny whiting field in the middle of june with the temp at 95 and the humidity at over 100%.
ed

corsair17

Ive flown the old t-6. built 1945, a beast of a plane but fun as hell to handle in the air. going to OCS and flight training next year, can't wait to see what all this turbine business is about!

Status
Not open for further replies.