• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-44 ground school

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellodollies

Im an e2 guy starting t-44 ground school right after new years, can anybody offer advice about what is best to study prior to ground school? Im slowly making my way throught the natops and have skimmed the fti. Any advice is useful.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok, it has been awhile since I went through, so maybe one of the bubbas in advanced can chime in... but..

Time spent on the checklists and responses is well spent. In the dead time prior, I spent some time in the trainer when it wasn't in use, or one of the line birds (damn that was hot), and just went through all the checklists, and figuring out where all the switches and buttons were, getting familiar with everything.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Webmaster nailed it ... I just kept running checklists whenever I got the chance. Helped immensely during CPTs. You might care to look at the preflight as well. Works well to buddy up with someone (since you get to pick your Fam partnenr) and practice with them. You won't pick your CPT partners though.

Gotta have the checklists (from Before Start to Takeoff) completed in under 30 minutes by CPT 6.

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
Look thru the checklists to get a feel for what's going on and to get their intent, then get someone who is way ahead of you to show you what to do. It's not like primary where you have a specific thing to say like in the engine start, as long as you look for and check the right things. If you did T-34's, then you're well ahead of the game becuase the engines and most of the operational limits are the same. If you can't get in a sim, then go with your FAM partner out to the plane. Yes, it's hot as balls, but it will help immensely.

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
Blacky hit it on the head: checklists are good but more importantly, have a buddy interpret them for you in a sim(profsit). Getting to know the checklists will help you in systems ground school as well as the fact that the engine is very similar to the T-34. Another thing is to go to book issue and ask Patsy for a systems disk. Take it home and burn a copy. That disk, NATOPS, and old crusty instructors are all you have to fill in the blank systems "FTI". Calling it an FTI is a stretch since it is only as good as you can fill it in with your notes. So, do yourself a favor and copy most or all of the info from the disk into your book.

As far as getting in a preflight bird, that is also a good idea just to familiarize yourself with the cockpit but the sim is better since you can start the plane and have realistic feedback from the instruments, etc. However, as it gets closer to the time for your FAM-0, definitely go to the preflight bird and practice the preflight checklist. You can do that all in one day the weekend before your FAM-0. You know, procrastinate like they taught us in college.

Blacky

Props, baby!
pilot
If only I knew that there was a disk when I was in GS. Oh well... The FTI sucks and is the most wothless bit of fragmented information I've ever tried to read. It has all the basic stuff that you learned in primary, only not as detailed and the AF way of doing the 6 T's, just to try to screw you up. DISREGARD. Anyway, look forward to your short syllabus and zero visibility out of the cockpit. Don't worry...you'll be done in no time!

Status
Not open for further replies.