• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-39 Rumor

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ran into an ECMO from my squadron who jsut showed up in DC. I asked him what he did to deserve getting stuck here and why he did not ask for flying orders. He said he had but that the detailer told him that they were not sending Instructors down to VT-86 anymore because they were doing away with T-39's.

Now I don't know if the detailer gave him a song or dance or if there is some truth behind what he was told. I do remember something about how the Navy was going to put out requirements for a replacement but I have not seen anything for a few years.

Anyoen got any info? I figure it is a bad rumor but I just thought I would ask (that is what AW is for, bad rumors......right? :D)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'm gonna say its a bad rumor as of now... What would they replace it with? Only thing I can think of is the T-1, which from what I understand, would need a bit of modifying.

I'll try to ask around and see if there's any truth to it...

As far as I know, VT-86 and VT-4 will be flying the Sabreliners for a while still.

Crowbar

None
Nah, you forget that the contract T39 pilots are being replaced. Hopefully they will go with some much younger pilots (at least under 60).

^Spoken like somebody who's never flown with them.

There has been some talk lately amongst the instructors about the topic of the future of NFO training but it involved changes over the next 5-10 years. We still have new NFOs checking in regularly so they're still coming from somewhere. There is, however, a proposal on the TW-6 website that involves going to a T-6/T-45 syllabus eventually.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^Spoken like somebody who's never flown with them.

There has been some talk lately amongst the instructors about the topic of the future of NFO training but it involved changes over the next 5-10 years. We still have new NFOs checking in regularly so they're still coming from somewhere. There is, however, a proposal on the TW-6 website that involves going to a T-6/T-45 syllabus eventually.

Have they factored in how they're going to do radar training like that? Still going for the synthetic radar simulator in the T-45? I know the topic has been breached before - any update?

Brett

Crowbar

None
Have they factored in how they're going to do radar training like that? Still going for the synthetic radar simulator in the T-45? I know the topic has been breached before - any update?

Brett

Still hearing the same thing here. A GPS based pretend radar that is essentially what we have now in the sim.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Well, our squadron literally *just* sent an NFO to VT-86 as an instructor, so I'm going to say the detailer is FOS.

Radar mech is less of an issue since the pilots run the A/A radar in the Rhino (most of the time). Any sort of D/L or IFF based intercept syllabus would be adequate.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett

Naval Aviation Vision 2020 indicates that the GPS/Synthetic Radar Training system will be in the T-6B. The T-45 will be for Advanced Tactical Maneuver training. I think this a bad idea for a few reasons that we did cover previously. As for not sending NFOs to Pcola to instruct in T-39s, the Vision document shows a chart displaying full transition to the proposed T-6/T-39 mix in 2020. Looks like the T-39 will be around for quite some time.

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
I just left VT-86 a month ago and can tell you that they are sending two T-2 IP's to Meridian this winter to begin developing the curriculum for the T-45. So 2020 sounds kinda far off...Vison-quoted or not. The word I got (pretty damned reliable by-the-by) was that the new course was projected to be VERY sim heavy with INFO's running the sim events. IP's would, of course, grade the actual flying events with SRT being used in the T-6B.

As for actual timeline, it's a crapshoot, but the fact that the two IP's are at least starting the legwork is an indicator of sorts. Hope this helps.

By the way, Whidbey is freakin' beautiful.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just left VT-86 a month ago and can tell you that they are sending two T-2 IP's to Meridian this winter to begin developing the curriculum for the T-45. So 2020 sounds kinda far off...Vison-quoted or not. The word I got (pretty damned reliable by-the-by) was that the new course was projected to be VERY sim heavy with INFO's running the sim events. IP's would, of course, grade the actual flying events with SRT being used in the T-6B.

As for actual timeline, it's a crapshoot, but the fact that the two IP's are at least starting the legwork is an indicator of sorts. Hope this helps.

By the way, Whidbey is freakin' beautiful.

Those guys are working on the T-45 transition from T-2. That involves no new technology or integration with existing aircraft. All they will do is apply the T-2 learning objectives to the T-45s broader capabilities. The SR technology is new, not yet funded and no integration planning yet underway, to the best of my knowledge. That puts the T-6B for NFO training well behind the T-2/T45 transition. It is the T-6B SR program that will replace the T-39. So, the T-39 isn't going anywhere soon. I'm still betting closer to 2020 before the entire NFO training pile line is comprised of T-45s and T-6Bs.