• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWOS info

KimberlyD

A friend of mine was given a rather cryptic "I'm flying off the boat for SWOS in March" message & hasn't had more communication since so I told her I would ask here when SWOS is classing up in March or maybe he's flying off in March for an April start date. Any info that any of you have would be great, they've had a plan for her to take a long weekend during his 2nd weekend there so that he can show her RI (I keep trying to tell her she'll only need 4 hours! :D ) & she's trying to figure out what days to ask for off.

shortncurly

You (or your friend) can look up the SWOS course dates on the NAVSTA Newport website. I know this because my husband is going to SWOS in a couple of weeks. If you need any help, feel free to PM me or whatever. Hope that helps! :)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A friend of mine was given a rather cryptic "I'm flying off the boat for SWOS in March" message & hasn't had more communication since so I told her I would ask here when SWOS is classing up in March or maybe he's flying off in March for an April start date. Any info that any of you have would be great, they've had a plan for her to take a long weekend during his 2nd weekend there so that he can show her RI (I keep trying to tell her she'll only need 4 hours! :D ) & she's trying to figure out what days to ask for off.
Here's the info I was able to pull. There are a couple classes that your friend could be in depending on what part of March he/she is heading to RI. The first one (Class 209) convenes March 12 and graduates on March 30. There is another class (Class 210) that convenes on April 2 with a graduation date of April 20.

As for time off during the week, don't hold your breath. SWOS isn't going to give someone time off (even a Friday) to go see the area any more than the API folks are going to give an SNA/SNFO time off to go see the Pensacola area. And you can pass on to your friend that they will most likely be in class till 5pm (or later), including Fridays.

I've attached the course sked that you can email to your friend. I've highlighted the course dates in yellow.

Attachments

• SWOS sked.doc
    271.5 KB · Views: 48

KimberlyD

She's trying to take off a Friday & a Monday, Friday for the drive up & Monday for the drive back. Friends of ours just got back & they said that weekends were pretty slack if you knew your stuff before getting there but that the weekdays are crammed w/ classes & info.

Thanks for the info, I relayed it to her & she's going to put in a conditional request for time off for the 2nd weekend of each of those class schedules so that she's covered w/ her work, luckily they're pretty flexible & will understand that she's not sure but be grateful that she's making the attempt to let them know ASAP.

Shortncurly, thanks for the info that it's all on the website, I didn't even think to look at the NAVSTA website!

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I went to SWOS in October. The weekday classes are pretty full, but you should be out by 1600 or 1700 at the latest. The weekends are free to do what you want with. My class didn't have homework...some do, it really depends on the instructor. There are a few presentations you have to do, a Rules of the Road test you have to take (and pass), and now there is another test you have to take and pass. It is pretty easy, but you won't get extra time off. It's a lot of death by powerpoint, but the weekends are defianltly worth it. The bars/resteraunts are great and the area is nice to drive around too. I went apple picking (I had never been before and I somehow conviced the 4 guys I was with to go with me)....they were the best apples ever. Some people go out every night (and show up drunk everyday). They didn't get in trouble as long as they showed up to class. There is a bunch of stuff to do out there, just ask around.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.