• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWOdom Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey everyone. Here's a thought I've been running through in my head lately. Since I switched over to the shady side, or maybe it really is the dark side, I've had several requests from people to put up a SWO Website, much like I initially put up here on AirWarriors...except I guess I could call it SurfaceWarriors. What I've been throwing around in my head is this: on a weekly basis, put up a journal entry on the type of things I am doing here in the surface fleet as a surface warfare officer. I know that a naval aviation website is hardly the location for such a thing as the two together is an obvious oxymoron. However, I think many people come to this site for information. And many of those are even still undecided on what career route they would like to go. Anyway, like I said, it's just something I thought that may shed some light on what kind of things go on out here. It may even keep you motivated to keep your butt in flight school and get those wings. Let me know what you think and I'll take it from there.

All the best, and happy landings.

--Steve Wilkins

Edited by - Steve Wilkins on 03/03/2001 14:48:20

Dawgfan

Pending
pilot
I would really enjoy reading about your experiences in the fleet. I'm also very interested in some of the challenges you've encountered as a line officer in general (ie leadership issues, crew issues, chain of command issues). Thanks!

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, those are definately things I could talk about. Thanks for the input. Is there anything else you could think of that you might like to hear about. Anyone else have anything?

--Steve Wilkins

Dave Shutter

Actually, I was in my recruiters office the other day finally finishing up my app. and he asked me for my three community choices. Now, we've already determined that it's pilot or nothing as far as the Navy goes, but I might consider, and am frankly quite intersested in: the SEAL Special Boat Units! He said: "You can't apply for that initially Dave, you have to go SWO and then apply for it later."

So SWO went down as one of my choices!

I would love to hear about your SWO adventures Steve, and as much unclassified info and stories about the AEGIS as you can give us, I think that machine is awesome.

BTW, you never replied to my post about the new Zumwalt class (DD21) land attack destroyer, what do you think about it?

D

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well Dave,

You hit on something that pretty much holds me back from just spilling my guts about everything that happens out here. And that is the amount of classified material that pertains to the surface navy. I plan to do what I can with this journal that I'm thinking of doing, but I sure don't want to screw myself in the process. It wouldn't be a good day for me if my captain got a phone call or email from some other senior officer (god forbid an admiral) saying that LTJG Wilkins is divulging classified material over the internet. Oh man, what a bad day indeed!

So I have to approach these "adventures" that I'd love to talk about with some sensitivity so I don't get myself into trouble. Although not as "glamorous" as naval aviation, I think people would gain a valuable insight as to what we do out here...as well as what the pilots that are embarked on our boat do.

Oh, one thing I would like to point out is that my weekly journal would actually be kept up to date, much unlike my good friend John's journal (oh, low blow, low blow) .

Regarding your question about the DD 21, I think it still has a long way to go. I just don't know how it would work out with a 95 person crew. We have 365 people and it seems like we're undermanned most of the time. If they get this thing the way its supposed to be, then it'll be one awesome machine. Here's a website on it for your info: http://dd21.crane.navy.mil. You may alreay have it but if not, go ahead and take a look at it. There's a lot of info there.

Take care,
--Steve Wilkins

Edited by - Steve Wilkins on 03/04/2001 03:43:32

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dave,

I would definately stay in the Navy if my detailer could guarantee me a spot with an SBU (special boat unit). It's definately something I am interested in, but the number of slots are few and far between. Of course, you have to be squared away. But also, it REALLY is a matter of timing getting that type of billet.

LTJG Steve Wilkins
Gunnery Officer
USS VALLEY FORGE (CG 50)

Status
Not open for further replies.