• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO to EOD transfer?

bgoman

I'm waiting on a FINSEL for OCS and was ProRec'd for SWO. Just thinking ahead, I have a strong interest in becoming an EOD officer. Is there any precedent for this? When would be the best time to apply for lateral transfer? After qualifying as SWO?

Again, I may just decide to stay as a SWO but just curious about the process.

azguy

None
You can apply for a lat transfer once you're warfare qualified. It's possible as long as the quotas are there. EOD hasn't had quotas for the last few cycles (2x/yr), but that stuff can fluctuate.

bgoman

You can apply for a lat transfer once you're warfare qualified. It's possible as long as the quotas are there. EOD hasn't had quotas for the last few cycles (2x/yr), but that stuff can fluctuate.
That's what I thought. Thanks for the info!

lmnop

EOD is a tiny designator, they like to take those that couldn't make it through SEAL training but are good enough to be EOD
The community is definitely small. That said, our candidate preference is not for 'those that couldn't make it through SEAL training but are good enough to be EOD.' I can't think of a recent guy (last ten or fifteen years) that was a BUD/S drop as an officer. That doesn't mean that there haven't been a few, but it is by no means the norm or a desired application bullet.

exNavyOffRec

The community is definitely small. That said, our candidate preference is not for 'those that couldn't make it through SEAL training but are good enough to be EOD.' I can't think of a recent guy (last ten or fifteen years) that was a BUD/S drop as an officer. That doesn't mean that there haven't been a few, but it is by no means the norm or a desired application bullet.

One of my guys that made it through hell week middle of last year had several officers in his class that didn't make it through hell week and several were promptly picked up EOD, a guy I had that didn't make it through about a year earlier was not picked up EOD but several others were that were in his class.

several was described as 2 or 3