• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Second?

SWOMan

So despite my name, I've been recently considering the idea of switching my selection order from SWO, SNA, NFO to SNA, SWO,NFO. I've always been told that SWO only selects people who place SWO as their first selection choice. Is this confirmed, or is this just a rumor? I would be very satisfied with either role in my naval career, despite how different they are in nature. My big concern is that I won't get selected for pilot ( despite its very high selections recently), then will get passed up by the SWO community for not placing them as my number one. Any advice?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So despite my name, I've been recently considering the idea of switching my selection order from SWO, SNA, NFO to SNA, SWO,NFO. I've always been told that SWO only selects people who place SWO as their first selection choice. Is this confirmed, or is this just a rumor? I would be very satisfied with either role in my naval career, despite how different they are in nature. My big concern is that I won't get selected for pilot ( despite its very high selections recently), then will get passed up by the SWO community for not placing them as my number one. Any advice?

What did your recruiter say when you asked them this question? I can tell you folks have gotten selected with SWO as a second choice. Apply for what you want to pursue the most.

SWOMan

What did your recruiter say when you asked them this question? I can tell you folks have gotten selected with SWO as a second choice. Apply for what you want to pursue the most.
I haven't been able to talk to my recruiter yet. He's still on leave for vacation. Where do you think my scores fall Into the selection rate? I've seen swo as second as well, but if swo selection stays at 34 percent I don't expect that to work out. How does nfo view third?

SWOMan

wouldn't really call it gaming, just analyzing trends. I mean my 58 oar is stronger for SWO than my 6/6/6 is for pilot. If I had a few 7's in there I might feel more comfortable about it.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Put what you want most first. If you don't get your top choice, you'll have no regrets. You can also re-apply down the road.

exNavyOffRec

wouldn't really call it gaming, just analyzing trends. I mean my 58 oar is stronger for SWO than my 6/6/6 is for pilot. If I had a few 7's in there I might feel more comfortable about it.

Listen to R1, and aviation is the only one that really cares about scores, for everything else it just gets you to be seen.

To me when I look at your stats for aviation your ASTB is so so, but people have been picked up with 6's, when I look at your GPA it is low for SWO but people have been picked up with GPA's like yours.

So put what you want first.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I haven't been able to talk to my recruiter yet. He's still on leave for vacation. Where do you think my scores fall Into the selection rate? I've seen swo as second as well, but if swo selection stays at 34 percent I don't expect that to work out. How does nfo view third?

Well then, talk to your recruiter when he gets back from leave and come up with a good plan/strategy. He is your one and only point of contact for the application process, right? As an aspiring naval officer, you know or should know the importance of the chain of command.

To add my two cents, I'd say your stats are decent for both SWO and Pilot/NFO.

SoopurHero816

I'm not a recruiter, but I got approved for SNA and NFO (my wish list was 1SNA/2SWO/3NFO) and I had similar scores to you (55 6/6/6). Not to mention, there were people who had lower OAR,PFAR, and FOFAR scores than me that also got in. I think everyone on here is right. Go for what you want to do most. If I had put in for what I thought I had the best chance in, I would have put in SWO, SNA, NFO, and boy am I so grateful I didn't because the results could have been different!! :)

I was picked up for SNA and subsequently NPQ's just before graduating at OCS... I redesignated to SWO even though it was never even on my wishlist during the recruiting phase. They ALWAYS have available slots for being who (if needed) have to redesignate.

Shoot for SNA/NFO. If you get picked up for either, great - if not SWO will be available. Your scores are basically the same as mine as far as the ASTB goes, so I can't imagine you getting passed on (unless you have any outstanding issues).

SWOMan

I had a heart to heart chat with my recruiter, and asked him what he thought I was strongest for. He believes I have a better shot at SWO. I kept SWO first and Pilot second. If I had known that SWO was going to be so far away, I would have done a pilot app, then reapplied SWO and SUPPO. Only thing I can do now is let it ride. If I get picked up Pilot/ NFO on the 24th I might continue processing as that... will get this process underway.

exNavyOffRec

I had a heart to heart chat with my recruiter, and asked him what he thought I was strongest for. He believes I have a better shot at SWO. I kept SWO first and Pilot second. If I had known that SWO was going to be so far away, I would have done a pilot app, then reapplied SWO and SUPPO. Only thing I can do now is let it ride. If I get picked up Pilot/ NFO on the 24th I might continue processing as that... will get this process underway.

I would have had you go for SNA then SWO, while your PFAR is a 6 many have been picked up with it, but SWO looks hard at GPA, and I would say a bit more iffy on that one, but your stats are so close you could ask 6 people and get 6 different answers.

SWOMan

it might have to do with the fact that my recruiter is part of the SWO community.... and that I'm his only SWO candidate in the entire recruiting district. Ever seen someone get Pilot 2nd? the way they are scooping up people I don't think it is going to matter. As I said, I wish I had known SWO wasn't gonna be until April. I would have put in Pilot separately. If I don't get Pilot, can I pull my app and reapply as SWO& SUPPO?

SWOMan

@NavyOffRec as a recruiter, what's your though on NFO. Its honestly a designation I don't think about as much.... mostly cause it goes hand in hand with Pilot.

exNavyOffRec

@NavyOffRec as a recruiter, what's your though on NFO. Its honestly a designation I don't think about as much.... mostly cause it goes hand in hand with Pilot.

It is a job, just like any other, some people want to drive the ship, some want to drive the plane, some want to do all the stuff in the back of the plane it is what a person makes it out to be.